Valued Contributor

What a wonderful world we live in when others show kindness in so many ways.  This is just one of many.  Others may visit nursing homes, hospitals, etc.  It does not have to cost money as most people here probably know since you all are outgoing people..  It is just a wonderful feeling to think someone cares.  I don't know of one person that would not feel extra special knowing others that do not know them care about them.     I know I got off the subject of Pay it Forward but posted this for those that are struggling to feed themselves at this time and can't afford at this time to Pay It Forward.   Geez, I can remember wanting a donut so badly I took rolls of pennies in to get  them.    .  

Esteemed Contributor
That was so nice of him !!!

Now if he was the recipient of the calories all the better !
Trusted Contributor

Another way of doing this is letting someone behind you in a checkout line, with only a few items,   go ahead and of you if you have a lot more. - especially at Costco where there are no express lines.

I have done this many times and I'm am surprised at how often this simple gesture has been returned to me when I'm the one with only a couple items.

I really feel that the universe returns these small and kind gestures. :-)

Respected Contributor

Lovely story!  My son and I used to pay the toll for the car behind us when we went up to Philadelphia to visit my Mom.  I was really fun to watch their reactions!

Esteemed Contributor

@sandraskates wrote:

Another way of doing this is letting someone behind you in a checkout line, with only a few items,   go ahead and of you if you have a lot more. - especially at Costco where there are no express lines.

I have done this many times and I'm am surprised at how often this simple gesture has been returned to me when I'm the one with only a couple items.

What's strange, though, is 90% of the times I do that, the person won't take me up on it! Strange - I guess they don't want to feel beholden???

Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

@Goodie2shoes, thanks for sharing that story!  I'm not a fan of posting about what we, ourselves, have done (we've had some long discussions about that on the forums) but I love reading about the good works we've received or we've seen others performing.  Thanks, again!

Totally agree.

Respected Contributor

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

@sandraskates wrote:

What's strange, though, is 90% of the times I do that, the person won't take me up on it! Strange - I guess they don't want to feel beholden???

Maybe you are doing it wrong.

You don't go ask them to let you pay,

You tell the clerk you are paying for the person behind you and then walk away.

The point is to make it a surprise for the person you are paying for and to quietly disappear. That way you don't embarass them.

~Enough is enough~
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Paying it forward

[ Edited ]

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

@sandraskates wrote:

The point is to make it a surprise for the person you are paying for and to quietly disappear. That way you don't embarass them.

Maybe you are reading it wrong.

Go back and read the post.

No money involved.

Respected Contributor

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

@sandraskates wrote:

No money involved.

sorry. I thought you were talking about paying it forward.

I've never had anyone refuse my offer to go ahead of them in a checkout line.  Strange.

~Enough is enough~
Esteemed Contributor

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

@sandraskates wrote:

No money involved.

sorry. I thought you were talking about paying it forward.

I've never had anyone refuse my offer to go ahead of them in a checkout line.  Strange.

I know, isn't that odd?