Respected Contributor

PayPal question for sellers who use this

I know this has probably been discussed before but I'm asking for help/advice. I normally only use PP to buy stuff but recently I sold 2 saddles each worth $1000.  I have a loan I want to put this money toward.

Sold first saddle last week.  Buyer paid me on PP and I transferred the money within a few hours.  It took a day or 2 to show up in my local bank account.  Once it did, I sent the saddle.

Sold second saddle last night.  Buyer sent money through PP.  But I can't transfer it because it's on hold.  I must wait until buyer notifies PP that she's received it.  What if she gets this pristine saddle, (ridden in 5 times but doesn't fit my horse's back) and claims it's trash.  Or that she didn't get it?  or any other host of reasons someone might try to use to dishonestly get her money back and keep my saddle??  Then I have to wait for the dispute to settle to get my money and what if PP decides she's right.  Then I'm out my money and my saddle.

Or am I worrying about nothing?  I'm pretty good at working myself up over stuff! Has anyone sold this way and had a bad experience?  Good experience?  

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Honored Contributor

Re: PayPal question for sellers who use this

In the past, I used PayPal exclusively on ebay, but I've never heard of a buyers $$$ being held until they receive their purchase.

Have you verified that this is an acceptable practice?

I sure wouldn't send it without receiving payment first myself, there's too many unscrupulous people in our world.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@Kalli   Are you sure that's why the buyer's money is being held?  I sent $600 to someone once, and it was being held.  I called PayPal to find out why, and they said that they randomly hold people's money sometimes.  I don't remember why.  They did release the money after I called and sent it to the seller.  There was no reason they held the money except that it was random.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KingstonsMom Thanks for your response.  I feel the same way.  I called and PP cs told me this is regular practice.

Respected Contributor

@NickNack they told me since I recently sold that other item (saddle) and before that my account was not as active, they want to protect the buyer, and supposedly the seller yeah right, by holding the money.

Wish I'd known this.  Apparently if the person had used Friends and Family, this wouldn't have happened.  But I was selling something not doing a transfer of money to a friend so I was honest and now I'm in a situation over this. ugh.

Honored Contributor

@Kalli 

Then I guess it is, but sending a $1,000 item with no payment still seems risky to me.

Sure you can battle it out with Paypal, but even if the rule in your favor, how long before you get your money?

Since you plan to use these funds to pay off a loan, time may be of the essence for you.

Let us know what you decide to do and how it works out for you!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

I've had Paypal from day one and never had this happen...buying or selling. I would not send an item out without the $ in my account. Too much shady stuff could (and probably would) happen. I have never heard of Paypal even doing this.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kalli 

There was a thread quite recently that said it's the new way ebay is handling buyers payments to sellers or something like that.  Seems to be a real pain.

Can't you make sure that buyer knows that, if not satisfied, they must return to you (your saddle) on their dime?  

Of course, use tracking and also possibly a signature?

Trusted Contributor

paypal.JPG

Honored Contributor

@NickNack I've never used PP but I'm thinking that "random" means "just for the heck of it" or "just cause we feel like it and want to mess with someone."