Respected Contributor

Re: PayPal question for sellers who use this

[ Edited ]

@Caffeina wrote:

paypal.JPG

@Caffeina yeah, it could be this or that or something else.  There's a list of possible reasons.  I spoke with a CS person finally and she said the same thing.  It's for the protection of both but I am the one who stands to lose money and my saddle.  I can only release the funds once I've provided the shipping info and buyer has received it.  Which puts my concerns right back where I started.

I've messaged the buyer and asked that she contact PP and ask them to release the funds to me.  CS said it might be worth a try.

Respected Contributor

I'm not sure what having your payment held does for you. As a buyer, I can STILL open an item not as described and you will be required to send a shipping label to me. If you don't respond to the INR, then, yes, I can most likely keep the item AND the money. 

As for not receiving the item, any payment of $750 or above required signature confirmation. Any payment less than $750 should include a tracking number.

None of these things has anything to do with your money being held. NOTHING.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

At this point, I'm sorry I commited to allow this transaction through Paypal.  The buyer was the first person who contacted me.  Since then 2 other folks, both local, expressed an interest but I wanted to be fair and give first person that chance to say yes or no before moving on.  If I'd've allowed the local folks to come, they could've paid cash and taken the saddle home.  Then none of this would have happened.  It was fair and right for me to give that first person the chance to buy because I never stated that preference would be given to cash buyers.  But with something as personal as a saddle (concerns about fit for rider, concerns about fit for horse), I prob should have stated that in my ad. ugh. Lesson learned.  

Honored Contributor

I sincerely hope you aren't getting ripped off.   I don't sell anymore but I remember a situation where a buyer ripped me off through Paypal.  They got their money back by taking it from me because THEY opened a paypal acct for this guy using a fake  or stolen checking account.

They aren't going to back you up, if the buyer is stealing.  They will get THEIR money, even if it means removing it from your checking account.  That's the unfortunate bit.  You have no rights even if it were they who opened an account for a thief.

That was what really pi$$ed me off.  I wasn't the one who gave the thief a Paypal account with stolen info.  They did, but it didn't end up costing them a dime.  Meanwhile I lost the mdse (an expensive piece of fine jewelry) AND the money.

Valued Contributor

Personally I don't ship until I have payment in my account. Especially if it was an $1000 item. Can you cancel the transaction on PayPal? You should be able to. Than just sell to someone as you stated who is local with cash in hand. I'd get over feeling "bad/guilty " which is less important than the possibility of losing $1000 or your $1000 item or even worse BOTH the cash & item!
Respected Contributor

@Kalli 

I read that Ebay is transitioning to a company named Adyen. Ebay users will be able to use paypal until 2023. After that paypal will be "second class status" You might want to read about this. I am not a seller but I am a buyer.

I always treat my sellers the same as I would going in a store. I don't walk out with the merchandise until I have paid. When I am bidding and the auction end in the middle of the night I set an alarm and pay right then if I win. I think this is a problem for both buyer and seller but certainly more for the seller. 

There are quite a few articles about it and ultimately it is supposed to be better and more flexibility for sellers and also less money in fees.

Esteemed Contributor

I've had notices from PayPal to hold up on shipping until a check clears. Maybe call PP and get an explanation.

Respected Contributor

Thanks for the info everyone!  I did send the saddle out but insured it AND got signature confirmation.  So far it's still in transit.  Hopefully it'll work for the buyer and I'll be able to collect my $ from Paypal.

Respected Contributor

@Kalli I've been a long time seller on eBay (since the beginning) but I'm also a buyer.  Don't worry, you will get your money as long as you shipped to the confirmed address and have tracking that shows when the item is delivered.  

You could have sold it locally and got paid sooner without the PayPal fee, but you did what you thought was the right thing to do, so don't second guess yourself.

Respected Contributor

@Linmo You were right! The item arrived, buyer was very pleased, she let Paypal know to release her payment and I transferred the $ into my bank account.  Since this happened last evening, I'm not looking for it to actually appear in my local bank account until Monday or Tuesday.  

I'm so relieved that it finally arrived and seems to be working for her.  As soon as the money lands into my account, it'll be switched to yet another account to pay off a small loan.  Yippee!