Super Contributor

Today I received an e-mail purportedly from PayPal that said my account was limited due to suspicious activity and that I needed to confirm my information.  I clicked in the sender name and it was from "gator" plus other numbers, not PayPal.  Even though I do not have a PayPal account, I did a search, and it's a repeat of another scam attempted before!  LadyAlice

Valued Contributor

Any time I have gotten anything from them like that I delete it. Then I go to the paypal site on my own -- not on their link and check things out. Yes, it's a scam......as are most fiancial "update your information" emails.

Honored Contributor

I agree, I closed my PayPal account years ago and got one of those emails.  I immediately contacted PayPal with the information which they appreciated as they try very hard to track these schemes.

Honored Contributor

I got one several years back and contacted them via telephone and they had not sent it.  Just changed my password and continued to look for the email address differences from paypal and the scammers.  Sure enough sometimes one P will be upper case and one will be lower case.  Sure sign not from paypal.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

That stuff has been going around for years.  I immediately report it as phishing.

Honored Contributor

Agree - it happens a lot.  The funny this is that every time I've gotten one of these emails it has been on an email address that I don't use on my PayPal account.    D'oh!   Can't fool me that way.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

One safeguard Paypal gave me years ago when I got one of those scam emails was that if there were an actual memo from Paypal, it would have my name in it.  It would never be a genral greeting like "Dear Member."

After that phone call, I realized just about all the businesses I frequent use that same naming technique.  It doesn't mean it's not a scam if you see your name, but it's just less likely.  Still, follow the advice not to click on email links unless you have some way to know FOR SURE who it is sending you that link.

Honored Contributor

@LadyAlice wrote:

Today I received an e-mail purportedly from PayPal that said my account was limited due to suspicious activity and that I needed to confirm my information.  I clicked in the sender name and it was from "gator" plus other numbers, not PayPal.  Even though I do not have a PayPal account, I did a search, and it's a repeat of another scam attempted before!  LadyAlice

@LadyAlice

I had one long ago.  Paypal asked that I forward it to them.  They got back to me about it also.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

Pay Pal only sends out emails addressed to you using both your first and last name, if not it is a hoax.

Honored Contributor

@BriggsiePeawiggle wrote:

Any time I have gotten anything from them like that I delete it. Then I go to the paypal site on my own -- not on their link and check things out. Yes, it's a scam......as are most fiancial "update your information" emails.

I do the same thing.. I figure if it's real I'll be notified next time go to log in.