Trusted Contributor

Re: Pay Pal Customers, Please read

An Apple genius turned me on to unrollme dot com. Keeps a handle on what you will accept into your virtual mailbox. I love it. Check it out!

dee

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@deedledeedeedle wrote:

An Apple genius turned me on to unrollme dot com. Keeps a handle on what you will accept into your virtual mailbox. I love it. Check it out!

dee

Was very interested to try this but as soon as I Googled it saw this article. So I'm sharing it. I know you mean well recommending the service, just a heads up.

Warning:

Before using "Unrollme" please read this.

https://www.mediapost.com/publications/article/300807/that-shifty-service-please-unroll-me-from-unro...

That Shifty Service: Please Unroll Me From Unroll.me

by Ray Schultz , Columnist

5/10/17

"Amanda Hess was in for a disappointment. Recently, like many other consumers, she signed up for Unroll.me’s email unsubscribe service, thinking that her inbox would soon be free of clutter.

Then, as she writes in today’s New York Times,

“the true cost of Unroll.me was revealed:

The service is owned by the market-research firm Slice Intelligence,

and according to a report in The Times, while Unroll.me is cleaning up users’ inboxes,

it’s also rifling through their trash.

When Slice found digital ride receipts from Lyft in some users’ accounts, it sold the anonymized data off to Lyft’s ride-hailing rival, Uber.”

Oh, how ignominious — one more piece of proof that digital marketers can’t be trusted.

The revelation is bad enough, The justifications are even worse. Unroll.me’s chief executive Jojo Hedaya calls it “heartbreaking to see that some of our users were upset to learn about how we monetize our free service,” according to Hess. Worse, the co-founder and former executive named Perri Chase, asks: “Do you really care? How exactly is this shocking?”

Well, we’ll tell you:

It’s shocking because Unroll.me claims that it protects peoples’ privacy, or at least reduces the aggravation from overstuffed inboxes.

Instead, it has this furtive side practice that does the exact opposite.

There’s nothing wrong with being in the list business as long as you call it what it is.

But Slice did something that is beyond the pale whether it’s done anonymously, and whether it’s stated in a privacy policy or not:

they sold data to a company on its competitors’ customers.

The list rental business is often unjustly pilloried, but it has a set of time-honored rules, one of which is that a customer list can only be used with the permission of the owner. It doesn’t seem that Lyft gave any such permission in this case.

And please stop whining that you have to do this to offer this free unsubscribe service. Unroll.me’s business model is your problem, not the consumer’s.....

........But let’s not get stuck in the history, or in the meaning of it all.

Unroll.me is like the fox that was put in charge of the henhouse.

And after all the blather and apologies, this looks just a little sneaky."

Honored Contributor

Whenever I get one of those e-mails asking for account verification, I ignore them.  I figure if they are real, next time I go into that account it will ask me to verify before it lets me in.

Esteemed Contributor

Those have been out there for a long time......Hubby almost fell for one from "FEDEX" saying they couldn't complete a delivery....

Never ....never...never click on any link from an email....go directly to the site....

Esteemed Contributor

@wismiss wrote:

I just received a phishing e-mail saying that my pay pal account had been compromised and I needed to confirm all my information.  I was suspicious and looked at the sending e-mail address and it definitely was not from pay pal---I don't think pay pal uses the word "mocha" in their e-mail address.

So I called pay pal and they asked me to forward the e-mail to them so they could document it.  

I know we all are vulnerable to suspicious e-mails, but wanted to make pay pal customers aware that there is one going around.

I got one too. Mine, however, came from tokobitcoin.com, saying there was a problem with my Paypal account. Uhhh yeah whatever lol

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

I have gotten a few of those emails over the past decade pretending to be paypal and I just disregard.  The first one I called Paypal and they had not sent the email so I just delete all now without opening and still have my account.  No problems for over 10 yrs. +

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

Like Becky said, this has been going on for MANY years.  

I guess that's what troubles me.  If it weren't lucrative, it wouldn't still be happening.   I wish people would educate themselves and not be taken in by this stuff.  Smiley Sad

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've received these types of email in the past but haven't gotten one in quite a while.

I always forward them to spoof@paypal.com.

Honored Contributor

While you shouldnt click on any links in a phishing or fraudulent email, you should contact your bank or retailer and find out if you should forward it to their fraud department so hopefully they can cut down on this qwap!!!!  

I noticed in my PayPal email they mispelled words........I forwarded it to spoof@paypal.com....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SisterGoldenHair wrote:

Do most of you use your real name on your e-mail address? I don't and hardly ever get strange e-mails.

@SisterGoldenHair

Nope, no part of my real name in my email address!

Google has a reputation for gathering info based on what websites you browse etc and use the data to send out spam emails which Google calls "tailored advertsing".......Even with Security & Privacy software when you sign up for their gmail its part of their agreement......and even if you opt out

635331486263305044.jpg...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”