Valued Contributor

I saw Paula Deen on Evine this afternoon.  She has a very deep tan.  She had a white top and black jacket on and with the white hair she looked very dark.  At first second I thought she was a person of color. I don't recall "ever" seeing her that dark.

I wonder if there is a motive for her tan on TV.  A couple of weeks ago she was mentioned in a caption that showed her son Bobby had dark skin.  They said it was an old Halloween photo.  Non the less she keeps adding fuel to the fire as far as I'm concerned.

I know someone will read this and critize me for my thoughts; but I can't help but feel Paula had a motive for this.  I think it's her way of struting around saying that I have bounced back and have more products to sell and another restaurant open in

Pigeon Forge, TN.  I can say or do as I want.

Respected Contributor

Re: Paula Deen on Evine

[ Edited ]

I also watched most of her show on Evine this afternoon, and honestly I didn't see her as being that dark.  The contrast of her white hair may have made her skin look  a bit darker, but she didn't appear anything more than sun tanned (or faux tan) on my screen. I also have white hair and I know what that does to your skin tone sometimes. Some photos taken of me and GG Sonlast week  made me look very dark, and I have pale Irish skin.

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I don't have a problem with Paula. I don't see that any of us is so faultless that we should point fingers at someone for something that happened 20 years ago. We're all different people today than we were then, and if we forget to forgive, we are the problem, not the solution.  

I wasn't moved to buy anything but I did watch, mainly out of curiosity to see how things would go for her. Apparently there were lots of sell outs, so i'm happy for her and for Evine.  Needless, lingering anger doesn't solve anything really.  We all see through different eyes.

Just MHO.

Trusted Contributor
Hasn't she paid enough for a comment made after she was robbed at gunpoint? Why shouldn't she bounce back? I wouldn't expect anyone to just crawl under a rock, and she fought hard against agoraphobia.

I'm neutral on Paula, but I hate to see negativity aimed at people when we have babies getting beheaded, a jobless rate well into the double figures, and a future that looks a lot like Greece.
Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Honored Contributor

It isn't about one comment 20 years ago.  It is a continuing  and admitted by HER in a deposition attitude toward a lot of things.  Including the way employees were treated at one of her restaurants by her brother.  It's all out there.  Read her own deposition.  From that recent picture, apparently she thinks she's just fine.  

Trusted Contributor
Politically correct. Ruined a few careers . Freedom of speech is disappearing slowly on some subjects. I think we all can see that. What Paula said 20 years ago I could care less. I just never cared for her even before her mess. She seemed phoney to me.
Honored Contributor

"a jobless rate well into the double figures"

If you mean the unemployment rate, you are way off.

For June of this year it was 5.3%.

http://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/empsit.pdf

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor
Most who were at odds with Paula weren't concerned about what she said 20 years ago but what transpired in her businesses in the 21st Century. Her personal demeanor was and continues to be an issue too.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Re: Paula Deen on Evine

[ Edited ]

@NoelSeven wrote:

"a jobless rate well into the double figures"

If you mean the unemployment rate, you are way off.

For June of this year it was 5.3%.

http://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/empsit.pdf

i expect she is talking about what we in economics call the "real" unemployment rate U6 which includes all those on the sidelines as well as those looking for work.  the "official" number just drops those people  off - as if they didn't exist.  many of those not actively searching now will come back and look at some point when the job market is better - some will not.  we suspect many will come back because they cannot afford to be in retirement.  

Esteemed Contributor

We are all guaranteed free speech. That hasn't changed. That includes free speech in reaction to the things said. You can say whatever you want, but that doesn't mean there won't be fallout from those who react to what is said. That's always the way it's been.

@Vickiv wrote:
Politically correct. Ruined a few careers . Freedom of speech is disappearing slowly on some subjects. I think we all can see that. What Paula said 20 years ago I could care less. I just never cared for her even before her mess. She seemed phoney to me.

Respected Contributor

I watched her presentation too. Her skin tone didn't look any different to me.

I was really watching to see what product line. I was tempted to buy her cake and biscuit mix, but then changed my mind.