Respected Contributor

Re: Paula Deen on Evine Live now

I turned on Evine yesterday and Dimitri was applying makeup to Paula Deen.  I dont know exactly why but when she opens her mouth with that exagerated accent and acts so fake I could just slap her.  I am from the south and I hear southern accents all the time but there is just something about hers that grates on my nerves.  I do not believe for one minute that she acts and talks like that in private.  So phoney.

Honored Contributor

I've purchased sevearal items and they are all delicious.

The salad dressings, marinades......all yummy!

CATS ARE HEAVEN SENT
Frequent Contributor

AUBEGIRL,  I have lived in the south all my life and she is totally phoney. Everytime she is on some show I can't grab the remote fast enough.

Trusted Contributor

@Sister Golden Hair wrote:

I really had nothing against her until she says that these recipes are her own...NOT!!!

My Grandmother made the gooey butter cake. As did my Mother and passed it on to me.

Not to mention several of the other recipes. I really don't see how she gets away with selling these recipe books.

I find myself in the weird position of defending Paula Deen who is someone that I have not liked since she began exaggerating her ac cent and going with the over-the-top presentations.  In short, I think she serves to stereotype the South, and I do not like that.  That being said, however, I think this post is a bit unfair.

Yes, many of the recipes Paula Deen has in her cookbooks are recipes that were passed down, swapped, and shared amongst home cooks for generations.  She makes no secret of this.  In fact, she tells the story of putting together her first cookbook, and she shares that she went to a brown paper bag that contained her recipe collection from her mother, grandmother, and other relatives.  She used these in her first book, and she makes no secret of that.

The fact is that she is not a professionally-trained chef.  She is essentially a home cook, and she is sharing common recipes that she and her family made.  If one is to criticize her for sharing these recipes, then one must clearly feel the same way about most cookbooks on the market and most home cooks.  The Pioneer  Woman does exactly the same thing -- in fact, there are websites dedicated to showing the original recipes in community cookbooks that were "borrowed" by Ree Drummond.  I daresay if you look at most cookbooks ont he market -- other than those developed by professional chefs and food writers -- you will find nothing more than common shared recipes that have simply been repackaged.

So, while I have my issues with Paula Deen, I think this critique of her is a bit off base.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]
Edit:
So...the post I was originally responding to seems to have vanished into thin air. That being the case, I'll delete my response. Better that way 😏
Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

deleted by poster
Honored Contributor

@surfk wrote:

@keithsmom65 wrote:

I didn't see her but glad she was on.

Ladies, when are we going to stop throwing stones upon her ? Has she not apologized and paid enough for what she said? Gosh, she didn't murder anyone.

We are all sinners, and wouldn't want to fall short in the public media. Yet we are all human, as no one is perfect but Christ.

If you don't care for her, just keep it down. Let's do to her (and others) what we would so desire be done to us. Please!   We must forgive one another.

Heart

But you have to admit that she HAS to stop sucking on cheesy-filled sausages on live television and dixie-cackling, "Don't let none of it squirt in your hair unless you want your husband comin' into the keee'chin wondering what'alls going in there."

. Can we agree on that much?? Smiley LOL

Bravo!  I thought she would never top the spectacle that was Paula's Party but apparently she has . . . just go back to cooking and stop this nonsense.  Egad.

Respected Contributor

@surfk wrote:

@keithsmom65 wrote:

I didn't see her but glad she was on.

Ladies, when are we going to stop throwing stones upon her ? Has she not apologized and paid enough for what she said? Gosh, she didn't murder anyone.

We are all sinners, and wouldn't want to fall short in the public media. Yet we are all human, as no one is perfect but Christ.

If you don't care for her, just keep it down. Let's do to her (and others) what we would so desire be done to us. Please!   We must forgive one another.

Heart

But you have to admit that she HAS to stop sucking on cheesy-filled sausages on live television and dixie-cackling, "Don't let none of it squirt in your hair unless you want your husband comin' into the keee'chin wondering what'alls going in there."

. Can we agree on that much?? Smiley LOL

Gross lol

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Honored Contributor

She believes she knows exactly who her audience/fans are at this point, and she is aiming her "charm" directly at them. It would seem that she's spot on. She wants to hang on to the fans for whom her media debacle just doesn't matter a whee-utt - for whatever reason - and she's definitely not aiming at those who found it all (and her) distasteful.

Quite happy to say I have no interest in being a fan or cheerleader, or buying any of her dog biscuits/beds or Southern fat cookbooks.
Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

She's selling, among other things a low fat cookbook. No matter what her personality is, I love her recipes such as her Googy Butter Cakes and her Not Yo Mama's Banana Pudding. They are too die for.

You don't have to love her to love these recipes.  They are OLD OLD recipes that have kicked around in community cookbooks long before that woman came along.  

I normally don't buy things from people because of who they are.  But when they put themselves out there as somebody then turn out to be somebody else entirely, I feel very scammed and after that don't buy their products.  If you are selling something because you are promoting a product that's one thing, but if you sell on personality, you'd better be honest about it.