Honored Contributor

Re: Paul Newman on Forever Stamp!

[ Edited ]

Paul Newman graduated from a small liberal arts college in Ohio (he is from a suburb of Cleveland, Shaker Heights).  I know people who went to that school and both Paul and Joanne did much for the college, esp. the drama department.  Joanne acted in two plays there -- college plays! - and Paul was directing one there when his son died.  He was always very generous to the college and, after his death, the college received a $10 million anonymous gift that many suspect he gave. (I've been told that so it's hearsay - I have no proof or firsthand knowledge of that). Newman was half Jewish (his father) and in Judaism, the highest form of giving is giving anonymously.  

Food for thought for any of the Newman detractors out there.  

Trusted Contributor

What a handsome man he was,plus a wonderful actor.I enjoy watching many of his films.

Honored Contributor

As far as I'm concerned, Paul Newman can remain on the Forever stamp forever!

Esteemed Contributor

@Gioiella wrote:

Audrey Hepburn was previously honored with a U.S. stamp in 2003.

When pictures of stamps are printed, the amount is always crossed out to indicate that it's only a picture and not a real stamp (and can't be re-sized, cut out and used to mail something).  You can see that in the Audrey Hepburn stamp linked above, the amount (37) is crossed out. Since the amount of the Paul Newman stamp is "Forever", the word Forever is crossed out in the image.  There are no actual stamps issued with Forever crossed out.

Gioiella, thank you. I never knew that, but it explains a lot.

When you stick around this board, you learn something new every day. 

Thanks again for the good news about the Paul stamp Heart

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

@sunala...Today was the big day!...Are you now all set to "stamp" your bedroom walls and ceiling this weekend?...I'm also curious if there is a "Mr. sunala" in your life?...If so, I have a feeling that you will be in separate bedrooms afterwards!  giggling emoticon

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~
Esteemed Contributor

@MyShadowLove wrote:

@sunala...Today was the big day!...Are you now all set to "stamp" your bedroom walls and ceiling this weekend?...I'm also curious if there is a "Mr. sunala" in your life?...If so, I have a feeling that you will be in separate bedrooms afterwards!  giggling emoticon

@MyShadowLove yes there is a Mr. Sunny, and he's okay with my admiration for Paul Newman...but it only goes so far. I may have to paper my closets and my drawers instead of the walls to keep the peace Cheesy

Have a great night!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sunala wrote:

@MyShadowLove wrote:

@MyShadowLove yes there is a Mr. Sunny, and he's okay with my admiration for Paul Newman...but it only goes so far. I may have to paper my closets and my drawers instead of the walls to keep the peace Cheesy

Have a great night!

@sunala...Great alternative!!...After all, we don't want to push the "unconditional love" button too far!..LOL..You might also want to check out Mr. Sunny's closets and drawers...He may be way ahead of you with his own "admiration idol"!...LOL

Wishing you both a wonderful weekend!  

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Pearlee wrote:

Paul Newman graduated from a small liberal arts college in Ohio (he is from a suburb of Cleveland, Shaker Heights).  I know people who went to that school and both Paul and Joanne did much for the college, esp. the drama department.  Joanne acted in two plays there -- college plays! - and Paul was directing one there when his son died.  He was always very generous to the college and, after his death, the college received a $10 million anonymous gift that many suspect he gave. (I've been told that so it's hearsay - I have no proof or firsthand knowledge of that). Newman was half Jewish (his father) and in Judaism, the highest form of giving is giving anonymously.  

Food for thought for any of the Newman detractors out there.  

One of my friends who went to this college emailed me last night thanking me for alerting him to the stamp's issuance.  He bought 100 and intends to use them on mail that he sends to his college classmates (i.e. upcoming Christmas cards).   So on behalf of my friend, thanks again  @sunala  .He even sent himself mail from the P.O. so he'd have one stamped for himself with first date of issuance.  He's a huge PN fan - because of PN's philanthropy.

Respected Contributor

i don't think they make them like him anymore. 

Respected Contributor

unfortunately, dh does the post office runs and he buys breast cancer awareness stamps exclusively, even though no one in our families has ever had it.  i don't see him buying these unless i bring extreme pressure to bear.  maybe once he'll give in, he does try to please me!