Respected Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

@Preds wrote:

Patriotism to me is like your religion. You don't have to "wear"  your colors to know what's in your head and heart.  It shows in your daily life and the lives of those around you.

Wearing of the colors is a fun activity to showcase your pride ... just like St. Pat's day, Christmas or orange and black at Halloween. 

Yeah, totally!  I like a fun aspect to something like that, and I didn't see the thread in question here, but if the implication was that anybody who didn't play along was noe patriotic, that's just kind of messed up.

Hey, I will do colors for fun too except the kind of funny thing is that I don't care for green so St Patrick's Day used to be kind of painful for me.  Smiley Wink   I never had any green clothes!   ha!

It was the thread "Jill, No Red White and Blue" and here is the delightful post that actually claims people who don't where the colors are unpatriotic.

"

@physicsnut wrote:

Yes, I do think of all the days of the year, one should wear red, white, and blue on July 4. I do wonder why one would not wear those colors of our flag on such an important day. Very sad, and yes, it is unpatriotic.

"
Honored Contributor

@Buck-i-Nana wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

@Preds wrote:

Patriotism to me is like your religion. You don't have to "wear"  your colors to know what's in your head and heart.  It shows in your daily life and the lives of those around you.

Wearing of the colors is a fun activity to showcase your pride ... just like St. Pat's day, Christmas or orange and black at Halloween. 

Yeah, totally!  I like a fun aspect to something like that, and I didn't see the thread in question here, but if the implication was that anybody who didn't play along was noe patriotic, that's just kind of messed up.

Hey, I will do colors for fun too except the kind of funny thing is that I don't care for green so St Patrick's Day used to be kind of painful for me.  Smiley Wink   I never had any green clothes!   ha!

It was the thread "Jill, No Red White and Blue" and here is the delightful post that actually claims people who don't where the colors are unpatriotic.

"

@physicsnut wrote:

Yes, I do think of all the days of the year, one should wear red, white, and blue on July 4. I do wonder why one would not wear those colors of our flag on such an important day. Very sad, and yes, it is unpatriotic.

"

Oh dear lord. Now we have the Patriotism Police. 

I too "wonder" about what goes on inside some people's heads.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

My neighbor hung a flag from a tree branch in his front yard. Well, if you know the rules, this is a huge no-no. I know my neighbor, he's a nice guy, so I told him. His reply: "I was only trying to be patriotic and decorate my tree for the 4th of July". Woman Indifferent

If your heart is there ... that's what matters.  Respect should come first, but not everyone knows or understands.  May have had good intensions and Thank You for explaining it to him.  Maybe he can do better and understand the reason. 

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

My neighbor hung a flag from a tree branch in his front yard. Well, if you know the rules, this is a huge no-no. I know my neighbor, he's a nice guy, so I told him. His reply: "I was only trying to be patriotic and decorate my tree for the 4th of July". Woman Indifferent

@SilleeMee

Thank you for your Flag Etiquette Education!  

Yes, that kinda drives me nuts, as well.

That's one of the reasons I post the Half-Staff Notifcations here in this forum.  People have no idea why the flag is down..and have no sense to know when to put them back up. 

The recent Half-Staff notification ended sunset 6/16.

I still saw flags at half-staff 6/27...over a week later.

One was Primrose School...a toney pre-school here in TX.  

Other companies...car dealerships, banks...don't they realize a lowered flag is a reflection upon their company?   So...I pick up the phone & call.  

I'm confident somewhere....within our US borders....there was STILL a flag at Half-Staff on Independence Day.  People don't have a clue. 

Respected Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@Demitra1 wrote:

I just read with interest the thread on wearing red, white, and blue on the 4th. Some thought if you didn't, then you're not patriotic. 

Patriotic???

A few days ago, my DH called and said he had picked up a military HITCHHIKER. I was soooo worried, and yes, downright irritated that he had taken such a risk. 

During two two phone conversations, he assured me that the guy was a "good kid". I had visions of the "kid" holding a knife to DH's throat. Ugh!!!! You can imagine!

His goal for the day was to get to a town 30 miles beyond our home.

He told DH he had been deployed twice, and he had been discharged a few days earlier. Now, I don't know the particulars.....why he didn't take a bus, or why family wasn't involved, but DH felt he was in need. (I will add here, DH thumbed to high school many many times, BUT, that was back in the day).

Ok, when he got him to his day's destination, DH bought him dinner. While eating, DH thought to himself that he couldn't just leave him there, so he drove him THREE MORE HOURS! Thank God everything turned out well.

From where he picked him up, till he returned home, DH drove seven hours!

Yesterday, the 4th, DH didn't dress in red, white, and blue. I really doubt that Vet would care, do you?

Patriotic??

I'm sorry you are so irritated that your DH helped the Vet. 

She was WORRIED. Big difference!

She may have said it but worry and being scared can be said as irritated.

My mom would be upset/irritated if I got home late but she didn't want to come out and say how worried she was.

Respected Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Buck-i-Nana wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

@Preds wrote:

"

@physicsnut wrote:

"

Oh dear lord. Now we have the Patriotism Police. 

I too "wonder" about what goes on inside some people's heads.

I know!! What color is not bright? Smiley Wink

Valued Contributor

Love for one's country can be shown in many ways.  Being part of the military is one. 

However, I believe the least all of us can do, to show our patriotism, is to VOTE, know the names of our congressmen and senators, follow the issues, form an educated opinion and understand how our government is supposed to work.  It is representational government by compromise. 

My newspaper prints the Declaration of Independence every Fourth.  I enjoy reading it because it so well written.  It also reminds me of what can happen when people stand together for "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness". I guess it puts me in the proper state of mind to celebrate the holiday and the greatness of my country. 

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Honored Contributor

I watched a DVR recorded Mr. Smith Goes to Washington today and some of the dialogue is as pertinent today as it was when it was originally filmed.

Mr. Smith reads the Declaration of Independence as part of his filibuster.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@Hooty Once again, you are right on!  My late husband was in the Honor Guard at Ft Myer, Va.

Whenever I see anyone in uniform I've always walked up to them, shaked their hands and simply say, "Thank you for your service", smile and totally walk away.

I've had people so surprised, they'd say, "Your welcome" as I kept going. I had a female in fatigues hold on to my hand (I'm a grandma, so she knew I didn't mean any harm) look me in the eye and got tears in her eyes and said, "Thank you, that is very nice of you".  I've had young children turn to their mother or father and say, "What did that lady say?"

I only felt sadness as I walked away because it makes me sick that they would be surprised that anyone would be so grateful for their service to their country and my country.

They should hear it every day.  I have dear friends who's husbands are officers in the military!  I KNOW what these women sacrificed.  What their children sacrificed.

I enjoy wearing red white and blue (I have 2 pair of collectible Birkenstock shoes are are red, white and blue with stars on them).  Paul McCarney owns a pair just like them and I've seen pictures of him wearing them.

I love those shoes.  I love wearing them and looking down at them.  They are pretty and they make me feel good.  

I love this country as many of us do.  Wear what you want people.  Good grief!

Valued Contributor

Re: Patriotism?

[ Edited ]

@febe1 wrote:

I didn't see much over the holiday, but I tuned in and saw Cameron of Halston and Mary, formerly kitchen. Cameron was dressed in all red, white and blue plus he had a flag pin on his jacket. While talking Mary asked where he would like to live. On Independence Day, Cameron said he would like to live in Paris and Mary said she would like to live in London. I turned them both off! I live in the best country in the world and would have liked to hear them both say so.

Please!  Lighten up! What's wrong with dreaming of living and immersing oneself in the culture of another country?  I do that often.  My ideal would be to live in Italy for six months (my birthplace) and six months in NYC (my life-long home) -- and yes, I am a US citizen.  I call it learning new things and expanding the mind.  You're still American.  Where you live has nothing to do with it.