Honored Contributor

Re: Pasta Bowls/Dinner Bowls

I have bowl plates by Fiestaware in 2 sizes--a luncheon and a dinner size. I love them!! they are very good for pasta or salad or anything and they are just plain  pretty!!

Super Contributor

I, also love my pasta bowls!!! Great for chili , soups and chef's salads. I had a set for about 9 yrs that were ceramic and they finally started to chip, so I was on the hunt for new ones!!  Not an easy task, as I was looking for the large ones with the rim. Was not going to pay a car payment for them, so I settled for Corelle, which I found at Meijer. They are plain white, have the rim and are fairly large!!

Trusted Contributor

I have a set of 8 pasta bowls and a pasta serving bowl from Southern Living. Love them!  THe pasta serving bowl is perfect for hot or cold pasta; set it out and people serve themselves from it. It's pleasing to the eye and practical. 

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Valued Contributor

My mother had a few porcelain sets that were used only for guests. She has been living in a nursing home for a few years.

Last year i decided to throw away the plain plates and start using the nice colorful ones when I stay at her house. I should have done it years ago. Two months ago my daughter found unopened boxes with nice porcelain  sets. We started putting a few in our suitcases when we fly back from Italy.

I am very finicky about my bowls and plates. I use also melamine ones. 

Honored Contributor

I received my pasta bowls today (I ordered yesterday from Amazon), I was glad they were all in one piece! I haven't used them yet, probably this weekend. They are nice looking, however they were described as white in color, they are not, more of a cream color which is okay with me. 

Trusted Contributor

@Bibione 

Your mother is Northern Italian? I’ll be in Italia in October-November. I’m Friuli.

Honored Contributor

I use mine all the time, bought many years ago.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

I have some nice wooden bowl/plates I found over on etsy. LOVE them! Perfect for salads/pasta/stir frys etc.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Jordan2 wrote:

Whatever you want to call them, what are you thoughts on them?  I recently moved and haven't bought dishes yet. If I buy a set of dishes I'm looking at Corelle set of six  servings. These bowls are quite popular now, I'm wondering if I should get a set (average size is 30 ounces for pasta, soups, cereal,  stews, and stir frys). I have read this could actually take the place of a dinner plate as it is shallow and wide. Does anyone have them?

@Jordan2 

I find that I use my pasta bowls more frequently than deeper side bowls for one practical reason .... the pasta bowls are easier to stack or line up in my dishwasher than deeper bowls.

Of course, if you hand wash everything, this consideration really doesn't matter.  

Honored Contributor

@feline groovy wrote:

Been using them for just about everything the last few years - they've replaced the dinner plate and more.  When something slips to the sides, it doesn't fall off or out.  Really great for a big salad, with or without a protein on top.

Another bonus: the interior circumference is about 9", not the 10-11" of most dinner plates.  So they're healthier to use since you eat less.

Pasta bowls, "dinner bowls", and "meal bowls" all work well; just double-check the photos and measurements.  Ones with more depth work for everything.

@feline groovy 

It's entirely possible that SOME people might eat less, but that's certainly not a given.  Most people don't pile things on their plates all the way out to the edges, and using a 9 inch bowl doesn't stop people from having a second serving.