Honored Contributor

Whatever you want to call them, what are you thoughts on them?  I recently moved and haven't bought dishes yet. If I buy a set of dishes I'm looking at Corelle set of six  servings. These bowls are quite popular now, I'm wondering if I should get a set (average size is 30 ounces for pasta, soups, cereal,  stews, and stir frys). I have read this could actually take the place of a dinner plate as it is shallow and wide. Does anyone have them?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Pasta Bowls/Dinner Bowls

That would be one big bowl of cereal. I never liked pasta bowls. Plates work just as well. IMHO.  Congratulations on your move! 

Honored Contributor

I have a set of Corelle that I bought at the grocery store and I bought those shallow bowl things.  I love them. I use them for salad.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I bought these at Walmart - Corelle - it was quite a while ago, but there are 4 of them and they came with a big serving bowl.  We use the individual pasta bowls a lot for large salads and as serving dishes for vegetables. I don't think they would work as a dinner plate. Very happy with them. 

Capture.JPG

Trusted Contributor

I love pasta bowls and actually have a few sets.  I use them for, besides pasta, chili, risottos and other rice dishes, and some soups.  They don't replace plates for anything that requires a knife; just fork and spoon food.

Valued Contributor

@Jordan2 i have Corelle Winter Frost White.  i initially puchased 16 piece set but have replenished with individual pieces and replaced cups with a different kind.  You might want to check prices at Kroger.  We use the bowls you mentioned often.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm confused. How do you serve a meal to others without plates? Is each part (main course, veggies, potato/rice/grain/pasta) of the menu placed (very gently) in one bowl?

Are there matching salad dishes or bowls? I could go on and on, but won't. LOL  (Remember friends who had children who wouldn't eat food that touched other food. Don't ask. IDK anything about it! Food bowls sound like a disaster for parents of kids like that.)

Wouldn't want anyone taking a picture of that table setting. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

I use much less pasta than sauce.  Pasta is starch which sticks.

Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

I'm confused. How do you serve a meal to others without plates? Is each part (main course, veggies, potato/rice/grain/pasta) of the menu placed (very gently) in one bowl?

Are there matching salad dishes or bowls? I could go on and on, but won't. LOL  (Remember friends who had children who wouldn't eat food that touched other food. Don't ask. IDK anything about it! Food bowls sound like a disaster for parents of kids like that.)

'in the Corelle, I have dinner plates, little plates for like rolls, these bowl things and smaller like ice cream bowls and 2 other pieces.  So yes, they do make regular dinner plates also. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

@BirkiLady I've read the bottoms of the bowl are very flat and wide that you could actually serve a meat, vegetable, and starch in it.