Respected Contributor

Re: Passenger removed from US Air flight

Apparently, any animal can be designated as an emotional support animal.. This is a hilarious article in the New Yorker magazine:

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/10/20/pets-allowed

Honored Contributor

On 12/1/2014 pood said:

Soooo, um......WHY did US Air allow the PIG on the aircraft in the FIRST place????

Gotta tell ya-If I had a pig (animal kind not human kind) on a flight I was on, I'd be raising *ell with someone!

Ridiculous.

This is really the question that needs to be asked.

Honored Contributor

On 12/1/2014 happy housewife said:
On 12/1/2014 Caravaggio said:

They have the same emotional brain capacity as a dog we just disregard that to murder and eat them. And just because he is not a small one doesn't mean he is not cute.

I grew up on a pig farm - there is absolutely nothing about these filthy creatures that is cute. Good Heavens!

Pigs are wise ... and clean

Paulo Whitaker / Reuters

Here's the dirt on pigs: They are perhaps the smartest, cleanest domestic animals known - more so than cats and dogs, according to some experts. But pigs don't have sweat glands, so they roll around in the mud to stay cool. A sign of their cleverness came from experiments in the 1990s. Pigs were trained to move a cursor on a video screen with their snouts and used the cursor to distinguish between scribbles they knew and those they were seeing for the first time. They learned the task as quickly as chimpanzees.

Honored Contributor

"Support pig" my a##! That's what I say in our local Publix a few months ago a lady (in a scooter about mid 50s) & her daughter (ugh!) are alongside me waiting at the lunch meat counter holding this dog and nestling it, letting it run around the area -- I said oh cute dog (and I steamed since had no markings of aid dog) she said thanks. I said is he a therapy dog? Oh no she said just that my daughter doesn't like to leave her home! OMG I went off on her I don't want a dog walking around my store unless necessary. I went to mgt he looked at me and said "well we can't ask her to leave as that would be discrimination" WHAT".....no need to tell you what I said! Haven't seen the dog w/ that lady since!
Super Contributor

It wasn't the pig that offended me, it was the poop!

Honored Contributor

On 12/1/2014 Preds said:

Maybe he would have preferred First Class ....

Ha! I love Maxwell!

Valued Contributor

On 12/1/2014 LipstickDiva said:

They have the same emotional brain capacity as a dog we just disregard that to murder and eat them. And just because he is not a small one doesn't mean he is not cute.

I grew up on a pig farm - there is absolutely nothing about these filthy creatures that is cute. Good Heavens!

Paulo Whitaker / Reuters

Here's the dirt on pigs: They are perhaps the smartest, cleanest domestic animals known - more so than cats and dogs, according to some experts. But pigs don't have sweat glands, so they roll around in the mud to stay cool. A sign of their cleverness came from experiments in the 1990s. Pigs were trained to move a cursor on a video screen with their snouts and used the cursor to distinguish between scribbles they knew and those they were seeing for the first time. They learned the task as quickly as chimpanzees.

I posted some information earlier in this thread; don't know if you saw it. Your post is correct, though.

Esteemed Contributor

On 12/1/2014 HisElk said:

Paulo Whitaker / Reuters

I posted some information earlier in this thread; don't know if you saw it. Your post is correct, though.

There are many wonderful things about a pig. It doesn't matter as this wasn't a farm flight. I feel it is pushing it with the emotional dog thing as it is.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Esteemed Contributor

Paulo Whitaker / Reuters

I saw your earlier post about pigs. It isn't surprising somehow though that Happy Housewife grew up ON a pig farm yet knows nothing about pigs. Especially their lack of sweat glands which is what causes them to roll around in mud to keep cool.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Valued Contributor

On 12/1/2014 Irshgrl31201 said:

Paulo Whitaker / Reuters

I saw your earlier post about pigs. It isn't surprising somehow though that Happy Housewife grew up ON a pig farm yet knows nothing about pigs. Especially their lack of sweat glands which is what causes them to roll around in mud to keep cool.

Thanks, Irshgrl. When I read the post from HH, I knew better which is why I posted the info. Apparently, she doesn't know everything about pigs.

After several flights over my lifetime, I can say that dealing with some of the other passengers on those flights, I might actually welcome a pig.

Hope you and your family are doing well; now where's some pictures of Ginger?