Honored Contributor

Re: Parties, parties, parties?

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@ShowMe

I hope and pray that the new year brings you improved health.

Your thread reminded me that just being able to do every day things is a gift. 

Driving yourself to treatment does not seem right, but I'm sure you are thankful you are able to do so.  I'm glad you have some folks helping you out when necessary.

Blessings to you.

@Witchy Woman....Thank you for your kind words.  I thank God daily for each day that I am able to get out of bed and try to do something each day.  

Yes, it has been rough.  I was always ok driving myself to the treatments, but could hardly wait till I got home.  They are very tiring.  It usually took me about 2 or 3 days before I could function the way I wanted to.  Then as time progressed with those treatments, I became pretty run down, and that was when my oncologist decided he wanted me to get the radiation treatments.  I was pretty weak at that time and could not turn the ignition on in my car.....just no strength.  Transportation to and from the radiation treatments was provided for me.....or else I would never been able to make it there.  Those treatments have done their job, and are still working on me.  As for now, I'm not on any kind of cancer treatment.....doctor wants me to get plenty rest, eat what ever I want, and rest.  Have really lost a lot of weight.  Was in some 2X things, and now I'm fitting into some Mediums.  Everything that was too big for me (from undies, jammies, pants, tops, coats and jackets) is gone now, except for my shoes....that I need help with getting them off the shelves in both closets.  Losing that much weight has been expensive.....and have been getting things now that I can wear that fit.....

Yes, I have been very blessed with having wonderful friends and neighbors.  When I say I'm alone, really I'm not afraid of that..I live a pretty quiet life, and that is something I like.  Have always been pretty independent, but have found out that if I do need help, someone is always there for me....    

Honored Contributor

We have quite a few social events throughout the season but most of them are fairly casual.  I try to go the casual chic route which is kind of the way I roll anyway.  If by some freak of nature we have to attend something glitzy, I have to really scramble to come up with something.  Usually it's my basic casual chic, but with shoes that hurt.  Woman LOL   

Esteemed Contributor

I just found out we are having company Thanksgiving day. I didn't know it until now.

However, I will still check in here about 4 pm CST.........

48.gif

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

I can't think of anything worse

@cherry  This does not sound like you.  You can think of nothing worse than parties?  I can think of dozens of things worse than parties.  Wars, storms, tornadoes, wildfires, deaths, murders, homicides, earthquakes, family fights, painful and terminal illnesses.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner wrote:

@Ladylaughsalot wrote:

Before my DH retired, two years ago, we used to attend and host parties.  I actually miss getting dressed up. 

Me too!  Almost!  We used to go to parties every weekend in December and/or have a couple ourselves.  In the last two years, not such and although it wore me out, I enjoyed it.

We always dessed nicely for holidays when I was growing up.  Not fancy and formal, but dressed up more than usual.  To me, that is what made it a special holiday and not just a get together.  To me that is and was an important part of a real holiday.

@Sooner wrote:

@Ladylaughsalot wrote:

Before my DH retired, two years ago, we used to attend and host parties.  I actually miss getting dressed up. 

Me too!  Almost!  We used to go to parties every weekend in December and/or have a couple ourselves.  In the last two years, not such and although it wore me out, I enjoyed it.

We always dessed nicely for holidays when I was growing up.  Not fancy and formal, but dressed up more than usual.  To me, that is what made it a special holiday and not just a get together.  To me that is and was an important part of a real holiday.

@Sooner  I think people who enjoyed being together in those days, and nowadays alike, gather for social time, instead of work time. 

Most of us are geared to working one job, or two, doing volunteer work and giving back to the community as well as raising families. 

It is nice to break away and get dressed, getting away from the hum-drum and mundane, resetting our clocks (unwinding, sotospeak) while enjoying our fellowman or coworker, whomever.  It does not have to be in tuxedo and silk.  It can be in denim and leather.

It's the way we humans communicate socially instead of always being tedium and business of everyday life.  With so many of working from home, getting together with like friends and/or family who enjoy being together and meeting new people at these events, while planning (in my case) some of the things we will do (and may even better next year, volunteer and civic-wise) is the real joy of celebration. 

Back in Biblical times, Jesus met with his disciples, with statesmen, sinners (and mostly with sinners), broke bread and enjoyed time in which He gave sermons and spoke in parables.  Not that any of us can do that, but gathering socially, partaking of food and wine, is not a new custom nor is it something that others should make light of and it should not be thought of as boring, hypocritical or out of style.

It's a way of resetting the old friend, energy and inspiration clock.

Respected Contributor

After reading so many comments from women who are alone and won't even have a meal with family during the holidays, I wish the Q would change their Christmas sales tactics.   Obviously, many of their shoppers aren't going to be spending the holidays partying.  Once upon a time we did attend and host holiday parties, but that is history. 

So, QVC, please quit talking about holiday parties!  It hurts those who won't be spending time with friends and families.  For those who will be social butterflies, you don't need to be told what you should purchase to wear for the festivities and what to give the hostess.  

If you are facing a lonely time, I hope a relative or friend decides they want to get together.   For those who will be attending parties, enjoy yourselves;  some day you might be facing a blank calendar. 

Best wishes to everyone!  

Honored Contributor

@this is my nic........very well put.  Holidays are a rough time for many folks.  I am always glad when New Year's Day is over and things can get back to normal......if there is a normal.

Respected Contributor

I'm not much of a party person: I love staying home in the evening.

Respected Contributor

@this is my nic wrote:

After reading so many comments from women who are alone and won't even have a meal with family during the holidays, I wish the Q would change their Christmas sales tactics.   Obviously, many of their shoppers aren't going to be spending the holidays partying.  Once upon a time we did attend and host holiday parties, but that is history. 

So, QVC, please quit talking about holiday parties!  It hurts those who won't be spending time with friends and families.  For those who will be social butterflies, you don't need to be told what you should purchase to wear for the festivities and what to give the hostess.  

If you are facing a lonely time, I hope a relative or friend decides they want to get together.   For those who will be attending parties, enjoy yourselves;  some day you might be facing a blank calendar. 

Best wishes to everyone!  

I find this suggestion offensive and demeaning to everyone.

The participants on this thread who say they will be alone not by choice is an infinitesimal  percentage of the QVC buying public. 

The use of the term "social butterflies " is, as mentioned by someone upthread mocking of those who do enjoy celebrating.

Should QVC never mention parties or celebrations because some people don't participate? Absurd. Do you think all malls, shopping centers and cities hide all evidence of holidays because someone, somewhere is alone?  Again, absurd.

Valued Contributor

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@this is my nic wrote:

Best wishes to everyone!  

I find this suggestion offensive and demeaning to everyone.

The participants on this thread who say they will be alone not by choice is an infinitesimal  percentage of the QVC buying public. 

The use of the term "social butterflies " is, as mentioned by someone upthread mocking of those who do enjoy celebrating.

Should QVC never mention parties or celebrations because some people don't participate? Absurd. Do you think all malls, shopping centers and cities hide all evidence of holidays because someone, somewhere is alone?  Again, absurd.

I agree, that is ridiculous!  I hope those that are alone will consider expanding their horizons, plan a party, get together, whatever.  Maybe your other friends that are alone would welcome the invite.