Honored Contributor

Re: Parties, parties, parties?

@embgm......oh my gosh, you wore me out.  Glad it's you, and not me.

I'm calling it a day now.  Need to get ready to go to bed.  

Sweet dreams everyone.

Respected Contributor

@ShowMe wrote:

@Perkup.......I'm thinking you need to Perkup......go out and have some fun.....you and your widow friends.  Bet you ladies could have some fun playing bingo.  

Do you live in a senior complex?  

Easier said than done. Several of us are llimited by various ailments - me an two otheers with a mild stroke and several of us (including me) don't drive these days.  Children of two have moved away and they are really alone.  We support each other as best we can. I don't think any of us are quite ready for Bingo, but I suppose we are getting closer. No, we all still live in our homes- no senior complex yet.  We stay involved with politics, a variety of groups, etc. But when it comes to parties, those days are pretty much gone for good. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@this is my nic.  Don't feel badly; you're going to more parties than I am.

And I like it that way!  Trying to think of a party I'd like to be invited to...drawing a blank.  I enjoy my own company (too?) much. 

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

@Perkup.......Understand fully of limitations when some have had strokes.  But there are some things you can do....like play board games, put jig saw puzzles together, and if any of you play Bridge, that can be fun These are just a few suggestions.  Maybe you could gather in one of your homes for New Year's Eve and have your own little party.  A kiss on the cheek is always nice to bring in the new year.

I too have my limitations, as I am a cancer patient.  Have been battling it for almost 4 years.  Have gone through having to drive myself for treatments every other week, and then recently went through a series of radiation treatments.  This all has taken its toll on me.  I am alone too, but do have some wonderful folks that help to take care when help is needed.  Have lost a gob of weight.  About the only place I go to these days is to doctors.  Have a tumor in the middle of my back just right of the spine near the waist.  That is where I had the radiation treatments.  I can't clean my apartment any more, nor can I go to the basement to do my laundry, so the woman that lives above me does this for me every 2 weeks.  Yes, I do pay her.   Also get my groceries delivered to me.  Am on a walker so there is no way I could go to the grocery store.

So, you can see I understand your situation.  I too am getting older.....will be 79 next May.  

Do what ever you need to do to live a comfortable life.

Super Contributor

Family get togethers for the holidays, we dont dress up  and I am happy about that 

Honored Contributor

As an aside, everytime I see this thread, I keep reading it as Panties, Panties, Panties?  LOL 

Honored Contributor

@lulu1 wrote:

We host a number of get togethers for family and friends between Thanksgiving and New Years. My husband's office has always had a big holiday party.  He is retiring so this year will be very special and nostalgic for him.

From the time I was a little girl I always loved (and still do) dressing up for the holidays.  Heck, I dress up just to go grocery shopping.

Some posters like to mock those of us who do enjoy holiday entertaining and dressing up for it.

@lulu1  I wish your husband a relaxing retirement!  Enjoy the party. I am sure you will look beautiful!  

I enjoy entertaining at my home and dress according to the occasion.  ITA with your post! 

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Honored Contributor

Not a party person, always dreaded having to go when I was younger. Because of my profession I often used the excuse, "I have to work or I am on call". Now I'm older and retired so not invited to any parties. I am very comfortable being at home by myself. 

Respected Contributor

@hsawaknow I wish you lived close to me...you'd be more than welcome at my Thanksgiving table!

We do still have family close by, but some of them will be retiring and moving closer to their children in a couple years. When my in-laws & parents were still alive, Thanksgiving & Christmas were lots of fun with big family gatherings. Now that they are gone (well, we still have my dad), and some of the siblings are several hours away, we just don't all get together as much anymore. 

DH & I don't have children, but there were always lots of nieces & nephews around. A lot of them have moved away, too. Every year the holidays get smaller & quieter. We still enjoy them, but there's always that teensy tinge of sadness.

Esteemed Contributor

@ShowMe

I hope and pray that the new year brings you improved health.

Your thread reminded me that just being able to do every day things is a gift. 

Driving yourself to treatment does not seem right, but I'm sure you are thankful you are able to do so.  I'm glad you have some folks helping you out when necessary.

Blessings to you.