Respected Contributor

Re: Parties, parties, parties?

No parties here, no guests not even a real Thanksgiving celebration. We don’t celebrate Christmas.

We are very happy unto ourselves, I have my two kids their spouses and 2 grandchildren. We see them all often and go out to dinner, etc., just not in an organized way.

I think a lot of this holiday push is all about capitalism and creates unrealistic expectations as well as debt.

The depression and suicide rates go up. 

Hope all have a great holiday season however it is celebrated. Stay safe and happy above all.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Darn this getting old.  I'm not going to any parties except for Thanksgiving dinner for the family at my house. I don't even know anyone who is giving a party.  None of the other widows I know and live near  -  five on my block counting me -  feel that we want to celebrate sans our beloved husbands.  Heck we don't even have anywhere to go apple picking or hit the pumpkin patch.  New Year's Eve is also filled with questions. Who do we kiss at midnight?  Maybe a photograph?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Witchy Woman  I feel for you, but you know what, maybe you believe that to her you are an afterthought but I bet you are not (possibly not even to her even if she doesn't realize it yet) and she is not the only one whose opinion or relationship with you counts.

Maybe like your nickname, you are too wise, i.e., "witchy" for her.  (By the way, I love your nickname.)  

Enjoy your own life and always be on the lookout for the surprises--some which are bad, but the vast majority being good--that are always emerging.

I am keeping you in my thoughts during this time of the year which is often a bittersweet time for many of us.  Remember--you are never alone.  Best wishes.  

Honored Contributor

Having a lot of parties to attend sounds like torture to me. 

Honored Contributor

There are zero entries on our social calendar between now and the end of the year. 

Wait!  On Dec. 22nd, I’m going to see Mary Poppins with my sister and 4 friends. Does that count?

No parties for us. I don’t know that I’ve been to a party with my husband in the 27 years we’ve been married. 

I really don’t have need for formal clothes.  I don’t see that changing. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@Perkup.......I'm thinking you need to Perkup......go out and have some fun.....you and your widow friends.  Bet you ladies could have some fun playing bingo.  

Do you live in a senior complex?  

Esteemed Contributor

My DH has a party we're both invited to - it's connected with his work, they have one every Christmas. It's at a nice steakhouse but it's 3.5 hours from here. He will need to get a motel room and spend the night.

DH is going but I can't go. We have 2 dogs of our own and Grandpuglet Daisy is here on an extended visit - I can't leave "the babies" alone here overnight.....Woman LOL

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hey! You have family that gets together which is far better than some fancy party were half the people don't know you or could care less about you.QVC sells things.The hosts work there and will say what they think will sell.Enjoy the holidays!   @this is my nic  

Respected Contributor

@lulu1

Hi Lulu!  I hope you enjoy all the dressing up and the parties!   Different strokes, etc.

Have a wonderful Christmas!

Respected Contributor

@Witchy Woman

Well, that's just awful!  If your family can't seem to be able to make an effort, maybe it's time to find one or two friends you can enjoy.  My two best friends moved away and for the first time in my life, I don't have a friend I can spend time with.  Fortunately, my 3 children live nearby and love getting together as a family. 

I hope Santa delivers some great friends to you!