Honored Contributor

Re: Parties, parties, parties?

[ Edited ]

@Ms tyrion2......I think di-mc was expressing what some of the folks that have no parties to go to or no family to be with during the holidays might be feeling.

This Christmas stuff starts way too early.  Folks have been pretty responsive on this thread.  We need to be uplifting folks, not putting them down.  It's a difficult time for so many.   So many have made suggestions on this thread.  

Valued Contributor

@Perkup wrote:

@ShowMe wrote:

@Perkup.......I'm thinking you need to Perkup......go out and have some fun.....you and your widow friends.  Bet you ladies could have some fun playing bingo.  

Do you live in a senior complex?  

Easier said than done. Several of us are llimited by various ailments - me an two otheers with a mild stroke and several of us (including me) don't drive these days.  Children of two have moved away and they are really alone.  We support each other as best we can. I don't think any of us are quite ready for Bingo, but I suppose we are getting closer. No, we all still live in our homes- no senior complex yet.  We stay involved with politics, a variety of groups, etc. But when it comes to parties, those days are pretty much gone for good. 

@Perkup, I think you should plan a simple holiday get together. I think you ladies will have a great time.  Make some of your favorite apps, some beverages.  Fancy little plates and napkins.  Doesn't have to cost a lot!  Make that oldie dip with onion soup and sour cream.  You can do this and I want to hear all about it!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Warrior2022......further down in the thread I gave her several suggestions.  We have been posting on here quite a bit.  

Respected Contributor

@ShowMe wrote:

@Ms tyrion2......I think di-mc was expressing what some of the folks that have no parties to go to or no family to be with during the holidays might be feeling.

This Christmas stuff starts way too early.  Folks have been pretty responsive on this thread.  We need to be uplifting folks, not putting them down.  It's a difficult time for so many.   So many have made suggestions on this thread.  

@ShowMe,

Read her first two paragraphs.  Especially the second.

My best suggestion for those who don't like QVC holiday programming is simple. Don't watch it. I rarely do. 

I have no family nearby. I found a group of friends that I enjoy celebrating with. All year long. Sometimes you have to put out a little effort to reap the rewards.

Valued Contributor

@ShowMe wrote:

@Warrior2022......further down in the thread I gave her several suggestions.  We have been posting on here quite a bit.  

Yes, I have been reading the thread.  I am cheering her on.  I meant no harm.

Honored Contributor

@Ms tyrion2......I'm in the same boat.....Am alone and have no family here.  My only sister is going to be 81 on 12/16, and traveling is getting to be difficult for her.....as it would be very difficult for me.  I will be 79 next May.  Have been battling cancer for almost 4 years now, and just don't have it in me to do any traveling.

I do know that this poster has had a stroke and is working on getting better.  She does have limitations as to what she can do.  Since I don't walk in her shoes,  can only suggest things that she might be able to do.  

Respected Contributor

@ShowMe wrote:

@Ms tyrion2......I'm in the same boat.....Am alone and have no family here.  My only sister is going to be 81 on 12/16, and traveling is getting to be difficult for her.....as it would be very difficult for me.  I will be 79 next May.  Have been battling cancer for almost 4 years now, and just don't have it in me to do any traveling.

I do know that this poster has had a stroke and is working on getting better.  She does have limitations as to what she can do.  Since I don't walk in her shoes,  can only suggest things that she might be able to do.  

@ShowMe.

I think you are confusing perk up with  di-mc.

I know you've had cancer for 4 years. I don't talk about it much, but I was diagnosed with MBC about 4 years ago. 

I will be lucky to have a 10 year lifespan.  I say this not for sympathy but to make the point that I intend to live the rest of my life as big as I can.  I will party. I will have fun with friends. I will wake up every day and think "how can I squeeze every drop of life out of this day".  

I will not sit back and wait for death to come find me.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Ms tyrion2.......  No, I'm not confused.  Perk Up did have a stroke......

Sorry you are going through a rough time too.....but you do have the right attitude.  I have metastatic melanoma.  And yes, I thank God daily for each day that I have.  I have no idea what kind of life span I have, but will always have stage 4.....that is what my oncologist told me.  Right now he is just seeing how I will get along without any treatments.  

I never was much of a party girl.  Oh yes, we did have fun when we were young, but that changed once I was on my own again.  

Believe me, I am giving this my all.....not ready to go meet my maker yet.....will fight this battle with all I have in me.....just like you are doing.  There are still things I want to do. 

Respected Contributor

Well doggone it!  Evidently, I was offensive;  that was not my goal.  Sorry to anyone who was offended by any of my comments.  I didn't realize the term social butterfly was demeaning.  I thought it just meant someone who has a busy social life.  

Many lonely people enjoy watching QVC for company.  I doubt any of us knows how many Q shoppers are alone.  To suggest it's infinitesimal is just a guess.  No matter what the percentage is, the feelings of these people matter too.  

Yes, shopping centers and malls get decked out months ahead of the holidays.  Personally, I think they start way too early;  I remember when no decorations were displayed until the day after Thanksgiving.  Store windows were covered until Black Friday, then the covers were removed and the decorations were seen for the first time.   For children it was very exciting!   Even so, it seemed that Christmas was far off.  Today's children start seeing signs of Christmas before school starts in Sept. 

Again, I wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving. 

Respected Contributor

Just enjoy life, all these holidays are 1 day then gone. I enjoy my sweat pants & tv with a few meals who cares. I love relax and do whatever I want. to get dressed up some people who I don't care to be around so be it. Some enjoy understand. Been there done that & I think I may have to do it since my daughter got engaged. Just be yourself, either have parties or not enjoy the holidays. Do your thing why force yourself into a situation you don't like.