Esteemed Contributor

Re: Parties... I'm an introvert and just...

I hate large parties, too.....I am quite a talker...if I know you....but if I do not....I can't think of a thing to say....I have tried to join in conversations but always feel like I am "butting" in and really not welcomed....

I remember many many years ago....my ex hub was invited to a private party at a co-workers home....he NEVER use to go to them...but there we were...the guys talked "shop" and the women talked about their kids...and I sat the whole evening...no one talking to me...what a miserable experience....

Honored Contributor

On 3/12/2014 circles said:

I hate large parties, too.....I am quite a talker...if I know you....but if I do not....I can't think of a thing to say....I have tried to join in conversations but always feel like I am "butting" in and really not welcomed....

I remember many many years ago....my ex hub was invited to a private party at a co-workers home....he NEVER use to go to them...but there we were...the guys talked "shop" and the women talked about their kids...and I sat the whole evening...no one talking to me...what a miserable experience....

Been there done that. I too am a big talker if I know you but find it so awkward to walk up to total strangers...I mean you don't know them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Respected Contributor

On 3/12/2014 croemer said:
On 3/12/2014 kittykatkay said:

I too am shy in large parties. I have learned to find a few women I can connect with by just saying hi and opening a conversation. I admit it hard but I am getting better at it. Maybe walk up say hi...say your name and be a good listener and just ask a few questions about their life.

Ain't NO WAY I believe that!

I swear its true...ask my DH! I am better though I dread each party because it takes me out of my comfort zone. We went to an Xmas party...and only 1 woman spoke to me...so hey I found a few men and had a good time talking to them. They were much easier to talk with.

And THAT'S supposed to SHOCK ME?

Honored Contributor

I too am shy in large parties. I have learned to find a few women I can connect with by just saying hi and opening a conversation. I admit it hard but I am getting better at it. Maybe walk up say hi...say your name and be a good listener and just ask a few questions about their life.

I swear its true...ask my DH! I am better though I dread each party because it takes me out of my comfort zone. We went to an Xmas party...and only 1 woman spoke to me...so hey I found a few men and had a good time talking to them. They were much easier to talk with.

I have found my voice...shaddup you brat!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Respected Contributor

On 3/12/2014 PurpleBunny said: A couple of drinks before you go - lol!

Good idea! A glass of wine.

I don't like them either, but you can get through it. Just put a time limit on how long you will be there. Usually I say, I'll stay and hour and then leave. Or something like that. It helps to make the time go faster and to take the stress off.

When you want to go, just approach the host/hostess, and say, I've had a great time. I have another event to attend, so I'll have to leave...or something like that. Easy.

Find someone you know and approach them.

Don't stress yourself out about having to talk too much or make too much conversation. Be yourself, participate as much as you are comfortable with.

I don't know where this party is, but if there are kids or pets there, I usually gravitate towards them and spend a little time talking/playing with them. That usually relaxes me, and helps to pass the time.

If appropriate, ask the hostess if you can help with anything. That always gives me something to do and I feel less awkward.

Depends on what type of an affair this is, casual, formal, etc.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Regular Contributor

Don't drink and drive.

Respected Contributor

I have found my voice...shaddup you brat!

Valued Contributor

I don't care for parties either--but I've learned there is at least one person I know---men or women---and I'm usually introduced to others---I need to add, my family and. Mr Sylvia's have been here for 100 years---I know a lot of people but I'm super shy with those I don't---- be brave---if you drink, have a glass of wine or if necessary, a mojito
Super Contributor

If you know everybody, find someone who has something in common with you and strike up a conversation, stick around for an hour or so then Wish the retiree the best and be on your way.

If you like sports, go talk to the guys and wow them with your knowledge!

Honored Contributor

I got nothing, I love parties and I'm an extrovert...........