Trusted Contributor

Re: Part 3 - Tells Supv. - No to Reas. Accom Offer - NOW HE schedules Meeting with RA OHR Office

@VaBelle35 wrote:

The RA has already been approved.

What we haven't been told is what she was asking for in the RA.

All she said was that HR told her to go to the boss and negotiate the terms.  

There's a piece of the puzzle missing here.

When you go to HR and ask for an accommodation, HR and the Manager are supposed to engage in the interactive process.  It doesn't always involve a doctor's note or a doctor's recommendations.  Most of the time, HR and the Manager can come to a solution that works for everyone.  Then it's documented.

You met with your manager and his response was to go outside the RA process.  I assume he did this so that he could pull your telework day whenever he felt like it and hold it over you because he held all the power.

I don't understand why you not only declined his offer but rescinded your RA request.

I'm so lost.

I didn't take the offer because I "SUSPECTED" It could be pulled at any time.  I did not think he motive was in my best interest.

AT my agency you have to have a doctor's note.

I declined the offer then read the regs and my doctor's note was written in Nov for only 3 months so the timeframe expired but all this is a true MESS cause.. I think he was trying to do somethingnot in my favor.

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Part 3 - Tells Supv. - No to Reas. Accom Offer - NOW HE schedules Meeting with RA OHR Office

@Happiness Is Inside JOB wrote:

Thank you for the great tips.

Here is my plan

1) don't talk too much

2) let them talk

3)let them explain the process

4)brng doctor's note

5) bring emails I sent

I'm going to try not be argumentative but be pleasant . 

Let her speak and don't say much.  I think he had her come to COVER HIS AZZ, cause she should have been involved from the start.

I don't think he expected me to not take his "OFFER" so he later thought...oh, she might later come back on me ....

I don't think his intentions were good from the start..  

Yes, you're on the right track.  But I think you should stop looking at him as the enemy.  He doesn't seem to have your best interests at heart, but being adversarial (even in your own mind) is not going to help you.  Don't worry about ulterior motives or anything else.  It's GOOD that she will be there.  And I suspect that she's supposed to be.

Let her lead the meeting.  Let her explain how everything works, what needs to happen, how everything will play out, etc.  Bring the doctor's notes and emails and whatever else you want, but don't volunteer any information.  Let her do most of the talking.

Another suggestion:  Bring questions that you have, just so you won't forget to ask.  This will be a good opportunity to ask those questions and get answers with both of them right there.

Take a deep breath, and let the process play out.  Don't worry and don't overthink.  I wish you luck!

Honored Contributor

I guess I’m now confused. I thought you decided not to take the RA because you acknowledged that physically you really do not need it?
Trusted Contributor

@bikerbabe wrote:
I guess I’m now confused. I thought you decided not to take the RA because you acknowledged that physically you really do not need it?

I did between US but I did not tell anyone at work my thoughts.  I thought the matter was closed until my supervisor arranged a meeting wit the RA Lady.

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

The RA person MUST attend because that is department that approves or denies RA requests.  I know you think your supervisor is the almight God of all things with supreme powers but that simply is not the case.  He has no role in RA approvals.  It was obvious from your first post that neither you nor that supervisor understood that.  He was wrong in thinking he could renegotiate something that had already been approved bu the RA office.  You were wrong in not understanding what RA is and in your absolute refusal to go back to them and report that he wasn't honoring the agreement.  It's now been so long and you have been working just fine, that there is now a question as to whether or not you even need an RA.  Also, there's a question as to whether or not you even want it now.  The whole thing is giant mess the likes of which the RA Office never experienced with any employee.  Unlike you, he must have referred your email to them so the RA is doing the right thing.  There will be a meeting with you, the supervisor and the RA person who will try to sort this thing out.  So, go to the meeting and LISTEN and try to absorb what is being said.  When they ask question, just answer the question to the best of your ability.  If you don't understand something, tell them that.  This thing went sideways and now it has to be resolved.  It should not have been that way.  You should have worked with the RA office when your supervisor FIRST gave you a hard time.  They would have dealt with him, that was their job.    

Thank you for this.  It explains some of what I was having trouble sorting out.

It truly is a mess, and I think the OP has to take some responsibility for not educating herself about this early on, and also for just winging it instead of going back to the RA when her supervisor was resistant.  

Hopefully, something productive can be salvaged, and there will be a reasonable outcome.

Honored Contributor

@Happiness Is Inside JOB  If the doctor's note was specific on start and end date 3 months from date of form then yes it would no longer be valid and there should have been forms that the doctor had to fill out saying a definite end date to the accommodations and exactly why it is necessary and not just a helpful thing.  It now appears you probably really didn't need it after all and that may come back to bite you in the future if you really really need special accommodations.  I think most really do not understands the RA.  It's primary intent was for accommodations such as a lumbar supporting chair, special screen attachment  for computers for those with eye issues, possibly restructuring job duties due to temporary injuries, providing a dim work area for eye issues or those prone to headaches from bright lights, etc.  Due to many HR personal not understanding RA, often employees request things that  are not really necessary and should not be approved for a mandatory RA and they just go along with it.  Where I worked so many requested wearing of any walking shoes due to foot issues when many other options were available (such as black walking shoes or orthodics to put in regular shoes , etc.) to keep within the reasonable dress standards  that we had and before you knew it, over half of the 100 or so employees had this RA and many didn't even have legitimate foot issues but their doctors' filled out the paper and HR approved it.

I would suspect the meeting is to discuss why you don't want/need it anymore and  have you sign a  statement that you no long need or want the accomodation which confirms that it may not have been necessary in the first place.  Also, a supervisor can in some places informally rearrange duties to help out a worker with medical issues to avoid all the hassle of going the RA route.  

From all my experience as shop steward and supervisor, they need to have this documented so you can't come back and file charges saying your accommodation wasn't given to you. 

My advice would be to not loose your cool, act annoyed or read more into it than there is and say something that could  negatively affect you in the future.  You don't have to like your supervisor but you do have to work with him so be carefull.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@VaBelle35 wrote:

When you go to HR and ask for an accommodation, HR and the Manager are supposed to engage in the interactive process.  It doesn't always involve a doctor's note or a doctor's recommendations.  Most of the time, HR and the Manager can come to a solution that works for everyone.  Then it's documented.

You met with your manager and his response was to go outside the RA process.  I assume he did this so that he could pull your telework day whenever he felt like it and hold it over you because he held all the power.

I don't understand why you not only declined his offer but rescinded your RA request.

I'm so lost.

I'm not understanding that either.

Or why she didn't get in touch with the RA people to let them know.  I would think lack of communication wouldn't be looked on favorably.

Esteemed Contributor

@Happiness Is Inside JOB- I think you're making this into a bigger deal out of this than what it really is.  From your previous posts, we know that things are not smooth sailing in your office.  One co-worker has filed a grievence against this boss.  You were going to be called to talk about what you knew.  It sounds like you don't trust your boss.  Do you really need reasonable accomodations or did you get the note and then let it lapse because you wanted the extra telework day because your boss gives it to the other co-worker who is the alledged favorite.

Don't over think it.

Esteemed Contributor

@NYC Susan wrote:

@VaBelle35 wrote:

I'm so lost.

Or why she didn't get in touch with the RA people to let them know.  I would think lack of communication wouldn't be looked on favorably.

@NYC Susan- The OP's doctor's orders were only good for 3 months.  By the time OP acted on it, the orders had expired.

Esteemed Contributor

@qbetzforreal wrote:

@NYC Susan wrote:

@VaBelle35 wrote:

I'm so lost.

@NYC Susan- The OP's doctor's orders were only good for 3 months.  By the time OP acted on it, the orders had expired.

Thanks, I understand that.  But she didn't contact the RA people to ask about getting another doctor's order or to get any other information/help in an effort to have it extended.  And she turned down what her supervisor was offering, so she ended up with nothing.

Personally, I can't imagine being unaware of the expiration date for the doctor's order.  If I needed accommodations, I would make it a priority to understand every detail and to do what needed to be done. 

After going through all of this with so much angst, I don't understand why she so easily simply walked away from her options.