Trusted Contributor

Re: Part 3 - Tells Supv. - No to Reas. Accom Offer - NOW HE schedules Meeting with RA OHR Office

Sounds like it may be a good idea to have the rep at the meeting so that she can explain whatever the process is, next steps, etc.  If you are not clearly understanding any part of it, make it known.  I would go in with a legal pad to take your own notes, thoughts.  She's almost become something like a mediator between the two of you.  Your boss needs to get his act straightened out.  I would not speak, e-mail, or use hand signals towards him until 3p.  Do not let him talk you into any scheme.

You ask for thoughts on how to act.  Be as professional as if you are in any other meeting.  Let her speak, explain, talk.  Any questions you ask and she answers, write down both Q&A,

And I would ask her to confirm the results in writing.  Protect yourself.

Good luck!  

Honored Contributor

Re: Part 3 - Tells Supv. - No to Reas. Accom Offer - NOW HE schedules Meeting with RA OHR Office

To be fair to the OP, the Government Shutdown ate up 35+ days of the note.

If you still need an accommodation to help your back issues, then contact your doctor's office and explain that the government shutdown impacted the last note and see if you can get a new one.

But your agency is on notice that you need an accommodation, regardless of whether the note has expired.  They approved your accommodation, so now you are regarded as having a disability.

HR and your boss are not going to advocate for you.  You have to advocate for yourself.

Before the meeting today, you really need to decide what you physically  need going forward.  Forget about all the other stuff, being scare of retaliation, etc.

If you don't need the accommodation any more, then that's fine.  But you are still regarded as being disabled.  This does afford you some protections.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Valued Contributor

I haven;t read all your posts OP, but the EEOC has a lengthy explanation on RA and what employers need to do for those who are considered to have a disability. did you read all that before this entire process? here are a few things employers can offer:

• making existing facilities accessible;
  • job restructuring;
  • part-time or modified work schedules;
  • acquiring or modifying equipment;
  • changing tests, training materials, or policies;
  • providing qualified readers or interpreters; and
  • reassignment to a vacant position.(7)

when this started out and you got a doctor's note, what was your goal? In a perfect world, what did you want from them that would have satisified your condition? First off, these forms must be filled out and given to HR. it is their responsibility to work with your boss and you for any accommodation. But remember this: HR reps have to folow the law. Your boss might not like it because it effects his work environment but he is not the one to make final decisions, It would be a joint effort.

Again, what was your initial goal? You may have stated that in one of your posts but I'm trying to clarify things here. I know I read that you decided you really didn't need any RA because you were not really disabled. So you "took it back". Then, your 3 month doctors note expired so you can;t even refer to that anymore.

I'm no lawyer but I think this meeting is getting down to brass tacks.  The company reps (HR) need to find out the status of your needs and then tell you what they can and cannot do. I'm sorry to say this but it seems like you think you are the one to make demands, You are not. If you come across as someone who presents an attitude or manipulative or that your boss is the cause of all this, you may find yourself waiting for a reassingment to another position.  

Once you open a can of worms, it can;t be closed. He offered you something that you turned down. You said because you thought it sounded like he could rescind it (or something to that effect). You know what happens when we project our feelings into what we think will happen in the future? Look at the present only. Get documentation. Once in writing and all parties sign off, there is your assurance. 

Valued Contributor

@Happiness Is Inside JOB wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

The RA person MUST attend because that is department that approves or denies RA requests.  I know you think your supervisor is the almight God of all things with supreme powers but that simply is not the case.  He has no role in RA approvals.  It was obvious from your first post that neither you nor that supervisor understood that.  He was wrong in thinking he could renegotiate something that had already been approved bu the RA office.  You were wrong in not understanding what RA is and in your absolute refusal to go back to them and report that he wasn't honoring the agreement.  It's now been so long and you have been working just fine, that there is now a question as to whether or not you even need an RA.  Also, there's a question as to whether or not you even want it now.  The whole thing is giant mess the likes of which the RA Office never experienced with any employee.  Unlike you, he must have referred your email to them so the RA is doing the right thing.  There will be a meeting with you, the supervisor and the RA person who will try to sort this thing out.  So, go to the meeting and LISTEN and try to absorb what is being said.  When they ask question, just answer the question to the best of your ability.  If you don't understand something, tell them that.  This thing went sideways and now it has to be resolved.  It should not have been that way.  You should have worked with the RA office when your supervisor FIRST gave you a hard time.  They would have dealt with him, that was their job.    

YOU are 100000% right but I was scared to call OHR.  Especially since the RA Lady used ot work for my supervisor.  What is the saying 6 degrees of seperation....But I'm just be quiet and listen.

right here seems to be the crux of the problem. You did something that you probably regretted and now are trying to take it all back because you're scared of the outcome. 

You're weaving a web of who knows who and how that can bite you. 

Respected Contributor

@Happiness Is Inside JOB   Praying for you that all will turn out good for you at this afternoon's meeting.  What @Pook said to you is correct I think.

Main thing is to stay calm.  I'll be thinking of you at 3.  Good wishes.

Esteemed Contributor

I have followed this story and something does not add up.

The MD made a note in November indicating PT is in order.  And OP STILL has not gone???  

OP does not WANT to spend her additional day working from home at PT?  OP indicated that she has many sick leave hours available.

Now OP does not want? to pursue the RA?

An RA can not just be ignored once it has been activated.

Could it be that OP just wanted some special treatment like the "favorite" and is now in a tangle of misrepresentations?

Trusted Contributor

The meeting was cancelled by the RA representative.  Updates pending!

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Trusted Contributor

Thanks for your comments.  I had use of lose leave then we went right to the furlough.  You have some valid points and I should have read the RA policy and investigating prior to jumping in!

@Still Raining wrote:

I have followed this story and something does not add up.

The MD made a note in November indicating PT is in order.  And OP STILL has not gone???  

OP does not WANT to spend her additional day working from home at PT?  OP indicated that she has many sick leave hours available.

Now OP does not want? to pursue the RA?

An RA can not just be ignored once it has been activated.

Could it be that OP just wanted some special treatment like the "favorite" and is now in a tangle of misrepresentations?

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Happiness Is Inside JOB  i think some people made incorrect assumptions here.  you are right to be cautious, the OHR person is not necessarily attending to help you, but maybe she is.  I am a federal employee like I think you are.  If you are formally withdrawing the RA request because you don't need it, you should tell both your boss and the HR person.  Your boss may have scheduled the meeting because he thought it was still pending even though the dates indicate it is lapsed. You can refresh the request if you still want it, but you should check your own RA policy.  You can also have an RA re liberal leave, I do. i hope this helps.