Honored Contributor

Re: Parrots removed from British wildlife park for swearing at visitors

[ Edited ]

LOL I had a colleague who inherited her grandfather’s parrot...that beautiful bird was 75 years old and would swear like a sailor. She figures Grandpa must have had a very salty tongue when she wasn't with him!

Honored Contributor

That is really funny, knowing the British sense of humor,i am sure many found it funny.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

@conlt wrote:

I have an African Gray Parrot, I bought him from a doctor and his wife. He did not like the doctor and she felt bad for the bird and did not think she could take care of him properly. I have other parrots and because she wanted him to have a good home, she gave him to me for a minimal price. He was 2 when I brought him home in 2003. He talks in a deep voice like the doctor but he also talks in my soft lady voice. It is hysterical. 

I just love him so much, when I clean, or he sees that I am busy, he sighs like I do when I finish a job or need a rest. 

Basically he watches everything I do and mimics me. When I go to vacuum, before I turn the machine on, he makes the vacuum noise. He is so smart. When I drink anything, he makes ice crunch sounds. 

When I work at home, he sits on my shoulder a lot and when I pick up the phone to dial, he makes the phone noise. 

I never know what he is going to do or say. For a while he was saying "talk to your doctor" which I am sure came from a drug commercial. LOL. 

He is very funny. He has never said a swear word though. 

One of my favorite parts of the day is when I wake up and I just listen to the noises and chatter that my birds make, when they don't know that I am listening. They are truly delightful. 

how fun it must be at your home !

Respected Contributor

@Kitty Galore It is, I love my birds. I have 4. My sister asked me how I am not startled by the voices. I know the sounds/voices of each of my birds. My African Gray is very attached to me. Sometimes, he walks on the floor looking for me. I am glad that I have him because the Doctor and his wife split up years ago and she died in 2015. She was only in her 50's and just mentally went down hill. I was devastated when she died because she was in the home for several days before anyone noticed she was gone. She lived around the corner from me and I used to drive by her house on my way home from work. She was a night owl and if the garage door was open, I knew that she was up. 

She died on a week when I was out of town. I cried and cried for her. It was so sad, but at least back in 2003, when I got my African Gray, she knew enough to give him to someone who could take care of him. 

She always thought that she did not bring him up well but I always told her she did, because he is so sweet. 

Anyway, birds can be quite fun and animated but you have to develop a relationship with them. If I was a novice bird owner I would not get an African Gray because they have the intelligence of a 2 year old and it is like having a perpetual 2 year old. He can get into many things. 

As a novice, I would get a sweet Cockatiel or a Senegal Parrot. A senegal parrot has a clown like personality and it not noisy. I have 1 and she talks. She completely charms the veterinary staff at the bird hospital.