Super Contributor

Re: Parmesan Cheese - Albany you were correct!!

[ Edited ]

You don't have to buy a Ninja to grate cheese.  A small chopper/processor works fine or grate by hand with a microplane, zester or rasp.  From BBB:

Microplane® Stainless Steel Parmesan Paddle Grater

Microplane® Stainless Steel Parmesan Paddle Grater
Featuring a unique, patented design, the Microplane Stainless Steel Parmesan Paddle Grater uses its star blade to finely grate hard cheeses, chocolate, garlic, spices, ginger, and more.
Super Contributor

I prefer Pecorino Romano and my grocery store grinds it fresh. There are no fillers in it.

Honored Contributor

I do buy Kraft (only Kraft) and have it in my pantry but will mostly buy fresh parm and grate it myself....  as a matter of fact I only buy block cheeze... 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

i buy a small block of aged parm and grate it . it is expensive per pound but its the real deal. i only buy a bit at a time becuase it can go moldy.

someone else here uses the package stuff.  has powdered cellulose.

Respected Contributor

Ive had canned and I have had freshly grated and I like canned better--there is just a better flavor to me in the canned kind.  But I won't buy shredded cheddar in a package--I grate that off of a block myself because the pre-shredded cheddar tastes like rubber and there is sometimes weird white stuff like flour on it

Valued Contributor

I buy a huge wedge from Costco and shred it myself then put it in small food saver bags.  I seal and then freeze it.  No change in look or taste.  I hiighly recomment this as the stuff in the green can is not for human consumptioin IMHO

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thing of it is, if you like Doritos, Cheetos, Cheezits, etc. you're eating basically the same thing.  Junk cheese.

I stay away from them because I'm vegetarian and most 'packaged' cheese flavored products use animal rennet (calf stomach) in their cheese making process. Absolutely no temptation for me!

Honored Contributor

You don't need a VitaMix to grate parm.  Just a microplane and grate it fresh over the food. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have always bought the fresh, and use a microplane or processor for grating.

Honored Contributor

growing up we ALWAYS used the kraft parmesan cheese in the green can.

we are still around to talk about it. LOL

now i do either buy a chunk of parmesan and shred it myself OR i buy the containers from THE FRESH MARKET where they shred it for you......or shave it.

i dont care for parmesan reggiano, but i do like a parmesan/romano blend or a pecorino romano. i also like asiago.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein