Respected Contributor

Re: Parkland shooting deputy not guilty on all counts

I concur with and respect this jury's conclusion.   

In my opinion, the prosecution of this individual was malicious and vindictive. 

Honored Contributor

People who say that teachers should be armed obviously believe that teachers with guns can outshoot and take down a school shooter and that it should be a teacher's responsibility to do that.

"If you really want to shock the world unleash your kindness"
Esteemed Contributor

@paixmcdao wrote:

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

As with any trial unless you are there and hear the facts for your self you should not judge.  One should not believe 100% in any media coverage.  

Having been on 2 juries I speak from my own personal experience.

I received my information by watching the entire trial. 

@paixmcdao, the weak point in that statement is that you also had access to information/arguments the jury did not have.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

People who say that teachers should be armed obviously believe that teachers with guns can outshoot and take down a school shooter and that it should be a teacher's responsibility to do that.

The thinking behind teachers carrying would be that it can deter the shooter. If they know teachers are armed, they may not be so apt to rush in and kill innocent people. It could save lives.

Honored Contributor

@elated wrote:

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

The thinking behind teachers carrying would be that it can deter the shooter. If they know teachers are armed, they may not be so apt to rush in and kill innocent people. It could save lives.

Perhaps.

If the teacher were armed with an arsenal of assault weapons like most school shooters are.

Honored Contributor

@elated wrote:

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

The presence of trained armed officers in schools doesn't deter these shooters, so you honestly believe that the presence of armed teachers,most of whom do not have the gun experience that officers do, would save lives?

Teachers are there to teach, they don't want the responsibility of shooting armed intruders.Frankly I think it's disgusting that anyone would expect them to do that. 

The teachers would also have to be armed with automatic weapons.

"If you really want to shock the world unleash your kindness"
Respected Contributor

For me, if nothing was done after the precious children and teachers were massacred at Sandy Hook, it looks bleak ahead in the short term for a solution.

I believe it will fall on my grandchildren's generation, when it is time for them take over, to enact what is necessary to stop the horrific killings with weapons of war.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Honored Contributor

@3catmomma wrote:

@3catmomma wrote:

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@3catmomma wrote:

So despite talking points it seems everyone is in agreement that no one can stop someone with an A-15. So why can't we ban them? Clearly a "good guy" can't stop them. And Ulvade showed us cops can't either.

@3catmomma 

Guess you think adding another law will stop nut case criminals, eh? You ever seen and/or fired a semiautomatic rifle?

hckynut(john)🥅🏒 🇺🇸

So you agree that the talking points about a good guy with a gun is BS? Let's start there.

And I won't take you seriously since you posted how you "allowed" your wife to better her health. I think we all know you're views.

@3catmomma  When one has to stoop to this type of attack on John and his marriage you have lost all credibility.

You try to present yourself as some type of thinker but all you are doing is right- fighting.

And no we all do not know his views. Speak for yourself.

BTW: It's "your" not "you're".

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

"I just wonder...does it take it being your child, your grandchild gunned down while LE hide, for the absolute horror becomes real?" @Snicks1 

I hope I'm misunderstanding this. Are you saying that those of us who took the time to watch the trial, heard and saw the evidence (or in this case the lack of it), and agree with the court that Mr. Peterson is not guilty only believe that because our own children weren't there?

You think that the people who were hoping this man would be sentenced to life in prison are somehow the only ones who understand the horror of what happened that day? Because, imo, that's pretty horrific in itself. 

As I said, I really, really, hope I misunderstood what you're saying here. 

Honored Contributor

All we can do right now is to demand the installment of metal detectors in the very near future.

Even if it means a line in our Federal IRS taxes which asks for an optional donation that will go directly into a special metal detector fund.

If parents don't want retired swat team LE at their schools, then this would be a good option.  

The children wouldn't mind, imo, as many of them are used to seeing them in airports.

Well, just another thought of mine right now.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).