Esteemed Contributor

Re: Parents who are cancelling Christmas (what do you think?)

Their kids! Their choice! none of us is familiar enough with the details here to even speculate as to the correctness of their actions.
Honored Contributor

They will be singing Frosty the NO man.

Honored Contributor

On 12/5/2014 Preds said:
On 12/5/2014 BeckiWV said:

Good for them. However, it doesn't sound like they have really cancelled Christmas. And why does the whole world need to know about it anyway?

Every time someone sneezes these days, they run to the internet to get their fifteen minutes of fame out of it.

I sneezed twice today ... show me the money! {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

I always sneeze in threes. Maybe I should YouTube it!! {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Honored Contributor

On 12/5/2014 brewhaha said:

They will be singing Frosty the NO man.

Another good one, brew!

Super Contributor

I get that the parents want to teach their children that it is better to give, than to receive, and that's a great lesson to teach. But, I think that the kids should have ONE present to open on Christmas morning. Maybe they would appreciate it more.

Respected Contributor

It's their problem, so they have to handle it their way. Besides, it just sounds like all they did was cancel Santa's visit.

Super Contributor

The parents obviously went wrong somewhere along the line with three disrespectful kids, old enough to know better. Cancelling Christmas won't do any good in my opinion. Using Christmas is a silly attempt at getting control of their children. The family needs some kind of help.

Trusted Contributor

You can't "cancel" Christmas....

“And the Grinch, with his Grinch-feet ice cold in the snow,
stood puzzling and puzzling, how could it be so? It came without ribbons. It came without tags. It came without packages, boxes or bags. And he puzzled and puzzled 'till his puzzler was sore. Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before. What if Christmas, he thought, doesn't come from a store. What if Christmas, perhaps, means a little bit more.”
? Dr. Seuss, How the Grinch Stole Christmas!

They can "cancel" Santa Claus.

This problem is deeper...my feelings are that they are bad at parenting. All three kids are misbehaving? Feeling entitled? Disrespectful?

hmmmmmmmm

Respected Contributor

It's up to parents as what to do in their homes. I think there are better ways to discipline children than cancelling their Christmas, but I'll let each parent decide what's best.

When our children were young, we tried to talk them into making their birthdays the big gift day instead of Christmas which would still be some gifts, but less than birthdays. They were opposed to the idea, so we continued with the traditional gift giving.

Honored Contributor

I'm not for it. They can give them less gifts are teach them in other ways.