Esteemed Contributor

Parents who are cancelling Christmas (what do you think?)

What do you think of this? These parents in the article below are cancelling Christmas as in "the gifts to their kids from them" part of Christmas due to bad behavior.

It states their children are disrespectful and too entitled.

They can do what they want IMO, they are their children, but I wonder? As in how did the kids get like this to begin with? I blame the parents for the way they act as they are pretty young at 11, 8, and 5 yr old boys. Well hopefully they will learn their lesson. Really Christmas isn't about "stuff" and it is nice they will be helping others with the money.

But the parents are taking some slack for their decision from others.

What's your opinion?

(CNN) -- They are the parents who canceled Christmas.

John and Lisa Henderson of Hurricane, Utah, had finally had enough of their little hurricanes.

For months, the couple had been trying to teach their three boys, ages 11, 8 and 5, to stop being disrespectful and acting entitled.

"We gave them good warning, either it was time for their behavior to change or there would be consequences," wrote Lisa Henderson, co-founder of the Over the Moon Blog, in a recent post.

"We patiently worked with them for several months and guess what, very little changed. One day after a particularly bad display of entitlement John said, 'We should just cancel Christmas.' "

And that's what they did.

Christmas was canceled when the Henderson boys wouldn't behave

Santa isn't coming to the Henderson house this year.

The family is taking the money that would have been spent on gifts and using it for service projects and helping other people.

It's not like her children suffer from a lack of toys, Lisa Henderson wrote. The family will still decorate and celebrate Christmas as the birth of Christ, and the children will still get presents from other family.

Though they're taking some heat from critics who call them Scrooges, the gifts these parents are giving their children are so much more important than the latest popular "Star Wars" figure or electronic gadget soon relegated to the dustbin. These gifts will last a lifetime.

Link below to entire article;

http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/04/living/parents-canceled-christmas/index.html?sr=fb120414canceledchris...

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Super Contributor

Re: Parents who are cancelling Christmas (what do you think?)

Yea

Super Contributor

Those kids will wind up on the therapist's couch claiming their parents traumatized them for life.

Not sure about cancelling Christmas though. Hopefully they will learn a lesson, I doubt it though.

Honored Contributor

They will probably get plenty of gifts from others, and who knows.........maybe from all around the country and world! I wouldn't worry about them........lol............But, in general, parents do have to 'put their foot down'. (Well, 'feet'.)

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

It doesn't sound like they're "canceling Christmas." Just cutting back on the gifts and involving the kids in projects to help others. Sounds like they're still having fun, but focusing more on the true meaning of Christmas. I think it's great, and I think they should do this every year. We do this in our family.
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Honored Contributor

How is Christmas canceled if they're still getting gifts from others?

Esteemed Contributor

"We patiently worked with them for several months and guess what, very little changed."{#emotions_dlg.confused1}

I guess I don't get that. Obviously, what they were patiently doing didn't work.

Kids live in the here and now and need immediate consequences for bad behavior

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Valued Contributor

There are kids like that; they are at the grocery store

Trusted Contributor

Maybe they all need to re-evaluate what "Christmas" is.

If it's ONLY about getting presents and stuff, then I guess they can "cancel" it in their home.

Perhaps they should all find some place to donate their time and help out the less fortunate in their town to get a better understanding of just how much they already have.

Contributor

I think they know their children best and it's not for me to judge.