Honored Contributor

Re: Parents spending big money for Pre K proms

I've read most of the posts here and some (I think) are mixing things up a bit.

The OP started off posting about people paying a lot of money for outfits and having lavish parties for kids that are 5 years old.

Then other's started posting about middle school kids having a ceremony going from middle to high school and so on.  I see that as entirely different.

I speak from experience here.  All of my daughters received certificates when they went from elementary school to middle school.  They just wore nice clean clothes (a little fancier than every day school wear) and had a reception (school style) afterward.  Same thing from middle to high school (cookies and punch).

My daughter just had two of her daughters go from elementary to middle and middle to high school (same celebration).

That's not the same thing as spending lots of money in fancy clothes and receptions, etc.

I doubt that there are many people doing that.  In this economy most people can't afford to do that and I like to pretend they have more sense!

Most of the people I know have not saved at all for their children't education, at all.  Yet they all drive (each) new cars, nice house, etc.

I think it does a kid good to get some kind of little job during the summer when they are old enough.  When my girls wanted me to buy them those shirts that were popular with Jordache across them I said, "No way am I paying a lot of money to advertise someone's name".  They bought them with their own money they'd made.  Never heard another word about it again.  They started talking about how much money the gov't takes out in taxes, etc.  Music to my ears!

It doesn't take much to save for college if one starts when the kid is born.  A few dollars here and there adds up.  

I think this is the problem why there are so many people who have so much in student loans and will never be able to pay them back.  

I know some disagree about this.  It's easier to help your child with college tuition in the beginning than for them to try to pay it as it go out into the world to make a living.

Just as some of you said, the money could have gone toward college (if it didn't, maybe it did).  If not, too bad.

Respected Contributor

These type of "graduations" have been the norm in some school districts for much longer than five years. As far as kindergarten, it is often just a small event at the school. How some families choose to celebrate it may not be so small. It is really none of my business to judge.
“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

@NativeJax wrote:
I have a 22 year old son....I was shocked to hear they now have graduation ceremonies from kindergarten to first grade, then they now have it for middle school to senior high....this was a change in the last five years or so....he did not have this.....I sure am glad he didn't.

Those events promote academic achievement and celebrate continuing education. 

This pre k prom stuff is just encouraging kids to act/look/behave way older than they should.

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

Parties, cute clothing, money spent is not what produces spoiled brats. It's tolerating bad behavior, giving in to tantrums,  failing to teach manners and consideration for others.

The children look happy, having a good time. If you can't enjoy your children, get pleasure from them; if they aren't fun, why have them?

Having too much too early (both things and experiences) is what spoils children and makes them have entitlement (bratty) attitudes, when they don't get to keep getting and experiencing all they want.

If one goes to this extent at about 5 years old, what will the expectations be by 6th grade, by 8th grade and by high school?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio wrote:

@The Monkey on My Back wrote:

If it makes their kids happy and they can afford it why not. It looks like they're having a nice time. 

I don't think a flower headband and cute dress is going to break anyone's bank.

Did you not see the limos and horse and carriage? 

Then they will wonder why they demand more and more and more as they grow up.

@Mominohio The instagram account where that photo of the boy and the carriage was taken from never mentioned the kid rode in the carriage. He was just standing by the horse.

And FYI that is a car not a limo. 

ETA it's actually a minivan.

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Trusted Contributor

Here in Jacksonville Florida they did not have graduation ceremonies for kindergarten nor middle school. They did have award ceremonies in the cafeteria but they did not call them graduation ceremonies. They did have a middle school prom and he went but this is only my opinion...I think there should be one prom, senior high...let's give the kids something to look forward too not something that becomes expected. Idk, I just think it's overkill.
Esteemed Contributor

Somewhat off topic, I did work for a prep school for a while.  I can tell you one thing.  When you meet people with "old money" you can never tell.  It's the "wannabes" who like to put on a show.  I had an encounter with a woman, nicely but simply dressed, who complimented me on some project I had worked on, as well as my outfit.  It was very sweet.  When she left, someone asked me if I knew her name.  Said yes, Mrs. X.  But then was asked if I knew her maiden name.  When told, I almost fell over.  Very old, old money.  Her son was working at the school, as a teacher, living in a modest apartment, in one of the student dorms.  If he had been brought up as a spoiled brat, he could have been an ultimate playboy.  Gives you something to think about.

Honored Contributor

I have no college degree and no high school diploma. In fact, I had to attend Summer School to get my Grade School diploma. I however have met many hundreds through my 52 years or running my adult hockey league that do. Bachelor's degrees/Masters Degrees and Doctorate Degrees. 

Other than their specific specialty, I have found most of them have no more knowledge of life outside that specialty than I do. Many to me, haven't the common sense I had when I was a young teen.

While I do agree "knowledge is power", to think a college degree is the end all, be all, when it comes to who has brains and who does not. 

I am writing this in response to the ones that say "save it for a college education", while I agree with the saving part, there are many other opportunities in life to make a good income, that many seem to overlook. And the "college equals brains"?  I know better from my hundreds of experiences with those with degrees and those without them.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

@hckynut:
I agree with you. I only have a high school education and I have always been blessed with good jobs but now that I am laid off and a little older the opporunities are not abundant. Right now, I am scared to death about money and security and I know my lack of education will be a hindrance. I know I am capable of anything but for the first time I feel a shift for me.
Respected Contributor

Pampered and disciplined are two different things.