Esteemed Contributor

Re: Parents spending big money for Pre K proms

Almost every day I see a "new low" of nonsense.

Respected Contributor

@MarieIG wrote:

@Ms X You made me laugh, and brought back memories!   There was a lot of running and chasing back then! They didn't catch me either, lol. 

I was the weakest (though not the youngest) of five girls, so I learned to run FAST at an early age.  One sister's boyfriend (now husband) used to say two of the younger ones belonged in the roller derby.  It was hilarious but true.  I lacked physical strength, but could run and in a pinch would grab books and other items to throw at the feet of my pursuer.  There was always the option of hiding behind the sister who wasn't after me (and taunting the one who was from my safe spot while my stronger sister fended off the attack).

Esteemed Contributor

@The Monkey on My Back wrote:

And I think all of us know that if the boy did go for a ride in the horse drawn carriage there would be instagram photos of it posted for the world to see.

The little on in the tie reminds me a little boy I met last Summer.  I was vacationing in Puerto Rico and he was with his parents.  Mother had baby in her arms and the little boy couldn't have been more than 5 or 6.

He was such a little gentleman.  He ran ahead and opened doors for his mom and others (including me).  I talked to him a bit, with his mom and dad right behind me as we were heading toward the front of the hotel.  I told him how handsome and polite he was.  It really just blew me away with his manners.  A beautiful child.  I told mom "you must be so proud of him."  She said thank you.

The little boy was adorable.  He had on a bowtie and was as cute as could be.  I only ran into them once during my stay, but I will never forget him.

*Call Tyrone*
Respected Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

And I think all of us know that if the boy did go for a ride in the horse drawn carriage there would be instagram photos of it posted for the world to see.

The little on in the tie reminds me a little boy I met last Summer.  I was vacationing in Puerto Rico and he was with his parents.  Mother had baby in her arms and the little boy couldn't have been more than 5 or 6.

He was such a little gentleman.  He ran ahead and opened doors for his mom and others (including me).  I talked to him a bit, with his mom and dad right behind me as we were heading toward the front of the hotel.  I told him how handsome and polite he was.  It really just blew me away with his manners.  A beautiful child.  I told mom "you must be so proud of him."  She said thank you.

The little boy was adorable.  He had on a bowtie and was as cute as could be.  I only ran into them once during my stay, but I will never forget him.

What a sweet young man! I've never been to Puerto Rico but I hear it's lovely with stunning beaches. 

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Respected Contributor

But if they were running around unsupervised by their parents there would be an uproar.

Can't win.

Esteemed Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

What a sweet young man! I've never been to Puerto Rico but I hear it's lovely with stunning beaches. 

It was my first time there too.  I enjoyed it immensely.  The Condado Vanderbilt.  Beauteeeful.  

*Call Tyrone*
Respected Contributor

Following the "Do You Take Everything At Face Value?" thread there are some replies in this thread that are rather ironic.

Many took everything in the OP as gospel (nothing against the OP because she pulled it from GH). Believing the children depicted had parents who were spending "big money" on their pre-K prom.

The info from the instagram accounts where the photos were pulled prove otherwise.

One boy put one a tie.

One girl had her dress made by their mother.

One boy had his outfit made by his mother

No one went in a limo. The vehicle was a minivan provided by the school.

No one rode in a horse drawn carriage. The child was photographed posing by a horse. There are no photos of him in a carriage.

For whatever reason GH finds it appropriate to snatch instagram photos and post them on their site with inaccurate, misleading info. I understand why some posters don't like the idea of a pre-K prom and the "costuming" of children. But it's wrong to make assumptions about the parents' spending habits (and their children) based on a photo and a deliberately sensationalized caption. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

well said.  This article looks as though it should have been in a tabloid instead of GH. 

I see no evience of "thousands" being spent.  I see some cute little kids in cute little outfit.  They all look like they are having the time of their lives.

Because of the sensationalist nature of GH's article, this thread is questioning the parenting skills of the parents, how much money they have, their failure to save for college and even the value of higher education.  

PT Barnum would have loved this forum!

~Enough is enough~
Respected Contributor

That trend hasn't come here yet, i pray it never does.  what comes next?  Renting honeyoon suites for them  with little negliges and bottles of candy viagara...

Respected Contributor

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

This is why our kids are growing up spoiled brats.  And what will they expect for their senior proms - it's all getting out of control - they don't appreciate it at all, and then they expect more. 

This foolishness isnt for the kids, it's strictly for the parents.  And social media.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@colliegirls wrote:

Almost every day I see a "new low" of nonsense.

Yeah, like the content of this thread ....