Respected Contributor

Re: Parents file lawsuit against cruise line re: toddllers death

[ Edited ]

@goldensrbest wrote:

There is a video tape,i heard on the today show,that the cruise line will not release,so far.

Probably not to cause more grief for the family.  Because unless the window was at child height or a cruise ship member lifted her up to it, it can't be that this was their fault and they have something to hide.

I mean good grief, if you walk around the deck, an unwatched child could easily find a way to fall overboard.  So should we have high walls and obscured views?  What about rooms with verandas?  A child could climb on a chair and onto the rail and go over the side.  Should we do away with veranda rooms - or not allow people with children to have them?

Should children under a certain age be banned from cruise ships altogether since it is not feasible to expect the crew to monitor them - or in this case their caretakers - to assure they don't fall overboard?

When are parents responsible for safeguarding their children?

Honored Contributor

Thank you, @Johnnyeager , for the details.

A news article regarding this came across my phone as I was typing: apparently these charges came due to the family choosing to sue RC. So, RC, on the advice of THEIR lawyers chose to REALLY fight as they (and no one who has seen the tape or witnesses) believe the parents have any grounds to blame RC.

Sort of a "be careful what you wish for". If their lawyer hadn't waved the money flag in front of them, they wouldn't be dealing with the mess of the grandfather now having to prove, in court, he did nothing wrong. From what I've read (hear and elsewhere), it's only the family that thinks grandpa is innocent. The pockets of RC are far deeper then the family  not to mention RC can go after them for damages if grandpa is found guilty.

This is a HUGE nightmare because one person did something irresponsible and then refused to accept responsibility for that choice.

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

He is charged.  It doesn't mean he will be convicted.  The reporting of this by the media has been so shoddy and so sloppy, it just makes me shake my head.

@Lipstickdiva 

Where did it say he was convicted?

Esteemed Contributor

I actually didn't know until I read the statement that the grandfather is a "step grandfather" married to the maternal grandmother.  That explains (for me) why the mother in her Today Show interview referred to him as "Sam".

Respected Contributor

@cherry wrote:

I wonder if the a might have Alzheimer's? This is just not something a normal person would  do, imo

I have never heard of anyone dangling a child from such a height ,except MJ, and he was certainly strange acting

I don't know about that....there has been plenty of people falling from heights to their death trying to get selfies to post online!  Go to youtube and you can find people doing all kinds of things that are truly dangerous or could cause serious injury IMO.  But they keep doing it.

This Step Grandfather was most likely confident in his ability to handle/control this small child and lifted her up on that railing to the window...not using common sense at all...risking her life...it ended in such tragedy...this story just makes me feel so ill inside every time I think of it.

I wish he had just admitted the truth right away...I understand it is human nature to "hide" our wrong doings....I get that...but this was so over the top mistake in judgement he should have told the truth right from the get go.  I hope and pray he does that very very soon....it won't bring this beautiful little girl back but it is the right thing to do.  

Honored Contributor

What chances you take with yourself ,and those you take with a baby are very far apart imo..People who are willing to kill themselves ,are not so confident with a defenseless child, unless they are cruel or haven't the sense God gave a gerbil

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

He is charged.  It doesn't mean he will be convicted.  The reporting of this by the media has been so shoddy and so sloppy, it just makes me shake my head.

@Lipstickdiva 

@sidsmom  Huh?  It doesn't anywhere.  I said just because he is charged doesn't mean he will be convicted.  

Not so much on this thread but in a FB group I belong to, people are losing their minds over the fact that charges were brought against him.   

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Lipstickdiva 

@sidsmom  Huh?  It doesn't anywhere.  I said just because he is charged doesn't mean he will be convicted.  

Not so much on this thread but in a FB group I belong to, people are losing their minds over the fact that charges were brought against him.   

@Lipstickdiva Why is that? Is it the "who" that has brought charges or charges overall because they don't believe he did anything wrong?

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Lipstickdiva 

@Lipstickdiva Why is that? Is it the "who" that has brought charges or charges overall because they don't believe he did anything wrong?

@SahmIammost of the people feel that the grandfather has to live with what he did the rest of his life and that is punishment enough.  There was a lot of "how do you bring charges against this poor grandfather?"

Honored Contributor

My heart aches for this beautiful child.  She should have been protected from harm, but her grandfather was negligent in the way he handled her.

No one in their right mind  would think it was okay to place a toddler on a railing on a cruise ship...windows or no windows.  He made a definite error in judgement and since he is an adult, he must be held accountable.

I am sure he deserves to be forgiven, but he should do the right thing and fess up and admit his error.

I do feel sorry for the family, they have lost so much.  Their loss will not be made any less so if they get a monetary settlement.  I don't understand how money gotten this way could even be accepted.

I wish the family peace.