Respected Contributor

Re: Parents file lawsuit against cruise line re: toddllers death

I just read a transcript of their appearance on the Today Show and they are absolutely looking for money from the cruise line.

"We obviously blame them for not having a safer situation on the 11th floor of that cruise ship. There are a million things that could've been done to make that safer. I know my mom was asking people, 'Why on earth is there a window open on the 11th floor without a screen or anything?'" Chloe Wiegand's mother, Kimberly Wiegand, told Savannah Guthrie.

"And their response to that was, 'We need ventilation.' Well, to that I would say, 'Get a fan. Come up with some other mechanism to make your guests comfortable, rather than creating a tremendous safety hazard that cost our child her life.'"

The family is now looking to hold the company responsible in court.

Well one of the "million things that could have been done to make that safer" was not to lift her up to the railing so she could "bang on the window" and fall out.

If she had to be lifted, she clearly couldn't have just "fallen out" on her own.  What is wrong with people?

Esteemed Contributor

I was brought to tears by this tragic story. Regardless of who is to blame or found liable, an innocent child is dead. I PRAY for EVERYONE involved in this case. There is no winner, no justice, just a lifetime of anguish.

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Esteemed Contributor

@tsavorite wrote:

@cherry wrote:

I wonder if the a might have Alzheimer's? This is just not something a normal person would  do, imo

I have never heard of anyone dangling a child from such a height ,except MJ, and he was certainly strange acting

I don't know about that....there has been plenty of people falling from heights to their death trying to get selfies to post online!  Go to youtube and you can find people doing all kinds of things that are truly dangerous or could cause serious injury IMO.  But they keep doing it.

This Step Grandfather was most likely confident in his ability to handle/control this small child and lifted her up on that railing to the window...not using common sense at all...risking her life...it ended in such tragedy...this story just makes me feel so ill inside every time I think of it.

I wish he had just admitted the truth right away...I understand it is human nature to "hide" our wrong doings....I get that...but this was so over the top mistake in judgement he should have told the truth right from the get go.  I hope and pray he does that very very soon....it won't bring this beautiful little girl back but it is the right thing to do.  

@tsavorite What truth are you looking for? He said he put her on the ledge, and did not realize the window was open. The thought of what happened to this child is hard to think about. I can't imagine what the family is going through. 

Respected Contributor

@manny2 wrote:

@tsavorite wrote:

@cherry wrote:

I wonder if the a might have Alzheimer's? This is just not something a normal person would  do, imo

I have never heard of anyone dangling a child from such a height ,except MJ, and he was certainly strange acting

I don't know about that....there has been plenty of people falling from heights to their death trying to get selfies to post online!  Go to youtube and you can find people doing all kinds of things that are truly dangerous or could cause serious injury IMO.  But they keep doing it.

This Step Grandfather was most likely confident in his ability to handle/control this small child and lifted her up on that railing to the window...not using common sense at all...risking her life...it ended in such tragedy...this story just makes me feel so ill inside every time I think of it.

I wish he had just admitted the truth right away...I understand it is human nature to "hide" our wrong doings....I get that...but this was so over the top mistake in judgement he should have told the truth right from the get go.  I hope and pray he does that very very soon....it won't bring this beautiful little girl back but it is the right thing to do.  

@tsavorite What truth are you looking for? He said he put her on the ledge, and did not realize the window was open. The thought of what happened to this child is hard to think about. I can't imagine what the family is going through. 

@manny2That he put her on the railing and she fell....in the photos you can clearly see there is no window pane....glass there.  IMO he is not being truthful about his error in judgement which caused her death.  I am sure the video must show his negligence....otherwise they wouldn't be charging him.  As I said he was confident in his ability to "hold" on to her....he made a terrible mistake.

Honored Contributor

If you're going to sue someone for money and they're not at fault, you take a chance that the party being sued is going to fight back. So many companies, in order to avoid bad PR, DO settle out of court and those looking for a pay-off are relying on that. 

In this case, it backfired and now, the family is going to need to hire an attorney to handle the defence of the grandfather. They're going to be examined closely not only by the courts but by the press and the public. RC can now use these charges to back up their claim they did nothing wrong; maybe they'll go after the family for all the bad press they've received (doubt it but you never know).

As per a lawyer buddy of mine; the family most likely thought they would get the money they asked for without any issue. Holy Moly, were they wrong. Whenever this case comes up in a forum or with a group I'm hanging out with, EVERY person says the grandpa is guilty and RC did nothing wrong. I'm mean, every single person (myself included). Talk about being delusional and taking bad legal advice, geez.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tsavorite wrote:

@manny2 wrote:

@tsavorite wrote:

@cherry wrote:

@manny2That he put her on the railing and she fell....in the photos you can clearly see there is no window pane....glass there.  IMO he is not being truthful about his error in judgement which caused her death.  I am sure the video must show his negligence....otherwise they wouldn't be charging him.  As I said he was confident in his ability to "hold" on to her....he made a terrible mistake.

@tsavorite wrote:

@manny2 wrote:

@tsavorite wrote:

@cherry wrote:

@tsavorite I just can't imagine he would have put her in front of an open window. If anything I am sure the video shows the actual accident, and that is why it hasn't been released. The lawyer for the family probably saw the video, and the family is still going forward with the lawsuit, so I doubt it is a video showing the grandfather doing anything other then what he said. As for the charge of manslaughter, as long as he was present, and the child was in his care they can charge him. The question is will he be convicted. That is what the court system is for, and the court system will also decide if the cruise ship was culpable. 

Trusted Contributor

@manny2

The charge is negligent homicide not manslaughter.

Negligent homicide basically means, "We know you didn't MEAN to kill this person, but something you did/or neglected to do caused their death."
Esteemed Contributor

@MarnieRez3 wrote:
I don't understand the argument that the grandfather will live with the guilt forever, so he shouldn't be charged. What??
He was criminally negligent. His guilt is not a "life sentence." He gets to live, while his granddaughter is dead.

@MarnieRez3  It was an accident that is why he shouldn't be charged. 

Respected Contributor

Imo, the root cause of this accident is the open window. Regardless of the grandfather's actions, the child wouldn't have fallen through the window if it wasn't open. I hope the family is compensated and the cruise line ensures this can't happen to another child.

Esteemed Contributor

@bathina wrote:

Imo, the root cause of this accident is the open window. Regardless of the grandfather's actions, the child wouldn't have fallen through the window if it wasn't open. I hope the family is compensated and the cruise line ensures this can't happen to another child.

I agree @bathina the cruise line has to put some kind of safeguard in place, so this can never happen again. Apartments require window guards, maybe that is an option. I know it will obstruct the view, but that's a small price to pay. 

If this family wins a lawsuit, maybe they will do something in their daughter's memory, so she did not die in vain. We do not know any of the facts, so we can't make the assumption they are in this for money.