Honored Contributor

Re: Parents file lawsuit against cruise line re: toddllers death

I’ve also been on this ship and you can tell when a window is open. I’m not sure where the facts are pointing right now. Lots of stories floating around. Would really like to know if the dangling out the window happened.

Honored Contributor

@Ketra wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@SharkE wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Sunnycorle wrote:

2 WORDS:  PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY.  

In general, such a seemingly wise phrase has been twisted somehow to have some ulterior meanings that don't agree with me.

Means your kid, your job is what it means. Young people don't want to hear and understand that term doesn't go with their lifestyle.

Agrees with me , just fine.

I know what it is supposed to mean, @SharkE .

My comment suggests that it has been abused by some who would rather corporations or some individuals avoid culpability. 

It's been abused by many in power to deny help to those who need it, people whose environments didn't include the good luck of being born to a family enviroment that helped assure success.

Heaven forbid that you ever end up on the receiving end of the cliched "Whatever happened to personal responsibility?"

@suzyQ3  The facts currently point to the grandfather being at fault. He lifted the child up to the window above the handrail. I’ve been on that ship. You can easily tell that the windows are open unless you are drunk or are legally blind. I hope RCI doesn’t settle and they go to court.

@Ketra, I thought I was pretty clear that I was not speaking of the case in particular but rather referring to the slogan "personal responsibility" and how it has been co-opted by some who have abused the idea.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

A lot of the comments on this board are reckless and irresponsible. The lack of empathy for this Grandfather, and this family is astounding. Why place blame when it was a tragic accident. It was a wall of windows, and I am sure he would not have put her in danger if he knew the window was open. Clearly he stood her up on the ledge, so she could look out, not knowing the window was open. I would be willing to bet many others have done the same thing. 

This poor man will spend the rest of his life knowing his actions contributed to the death of this beautiful child. I don't think there is anything worse that could happen to him. As for the lawsuit I would be willing to bet that family would give all that have and live in a cardboard box if they could have her back. There are no winners here even if they settle for a large sum they still don't have their daughter.

Trusted Contributor

@manny2 wrote:

A lot of the comments on this board are reckless and irresponsible. The lack of empathy for this Grandfather, and this family is astounding. Why place blame when it was a tragic accident. It was a wall of windows, and I am sure he would not have put her in danger if he knew the window was open. Clearly he stood her up on the ledge, so she could look out, not knowing the window was open. I would be willing to bet many others have done the same thing. 

This poor man will spend the rest of his life knowing his actions contributed to the death of this beautiful child. I don't think there is anything worse that could happen to him. As for the lawsuit I would be willing to bet that family would give all that have and live in a cardboard box if they could have her back. There are no winners here even if they settle for a large sum they still don't have their daughter.

@manny2  I take it you haven’t been on the ship. He made a mistake and should own up to it and not blame others. The only victim is that poor child. The courts will have to settle this now. 

Trusted Contributor

@manny2 wrote:

But why on earth should they "settle for a large sum???"   They deserve NOTHING.   Is no one responsible for their own stupid actions anymore?   The reason things are so expensive for normal people is because we have to PAY for ridiculous lawsuits. 

Honored Contributor

@manny2 wrote:

@manny2.  Don't know how comments can be reckless and irresponsible, but the grandfather certainly was. How do you not know a window is open? Unless it is proven definately that the ship line was at fault there should not be any money given to anyone.

Respected Contributor

@MarnieRez3 wrote:
Just curious because I didn't find the answer in any of the articles I've read...is the grandfather the child's maternal grandparent or fraternal grandparent?

And...if the poor child was allowed to bang on the glass at her brother's hockey games, that, to me, is the precursor to this tragedy.

Glass, plasticine, vinyl sheeting and even triple-plated tempered glass used in professional hockey arenas can all shatter, break unexpectedly and/or completely give way.

In my eyes, the parents were negligent far earlier than the grandfather if they, in fact, allowed this child to routinely bang on ANY glass.

Thank you!

Can't begin to wonder why I hadn't thought of this before.  Especially since I've been carrying the wrist scars from an accident 50+ years ago, running and missing the screen door opening "bar" (still with storm window installed) to open it.  (Thank goodness damages were limited to stitches, and didn't have any tendons, etc. involved.)

Yes, a child that age should have been firmly discouraged from banging on any glass.

Also, my DH & I have been on numerous cruises and discussed this accident.  I said perhaps there wasn't a breeze that day (docked), but Mr. Wizard explained that if the room was air conditioned (highly likely) there would be air movement from the heated outside air into the cooler air.

Denise
Respected Contributor

@MarnieRez3 wrote:
Just curious because I didn't find the answer in any of the articles I've read...is the grandfather the child's maternal grandparent or fraternal grandparent?

And...if the poor child was allowed to bang on the glass at her brother's hockey games, that, to me, is the precursor to this tragedy.

Glass, plasticine, vinyl sheeting and even triple-plated tempered glass used in professional hockey arenas can all shatter, break unexpectedly and/or completely give way.

In my eyes, the parents were negligent far earlier than the grandfather if they, in fact, allowed this child to routinely bang on ANY glass.

Pretty sure I heard it was the mother's father who had the mishap.  I wonder if it had been her husband's father if she'd be so forgiving. 

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Esteemed Contributor

@Ketra wrote:

@manny2 wrote:

@manny2  I take it you haven’t been on the ship. He made a mistake and should own up to it and not blame others. The only victim is that poor child. The courts will have to settle this now. 

Honored Contributor

@Bri369 wrote:

I'm sure the cruise line will settle just to make this goes away.

@Bri369 wrote:

I'm sure the cruise line will settle just to make this goes away.

I don't think they are guilty and would not pay that.  The grandfather, sadly, has to live with his part of it, till his end.