Respected Contributor

Re: Parent's Drop Attempts to Bring Charlie Gard to U.S.

@Stray  i think you are right re matters of the heart   but a child is a parent's responsibility, not the state's.  which is why there is strong resistance to having state intervention in these matters here in U S.  re whether insurance would have ok'ed this,  the parents had raised the money for care so that point is moot.   i see more and more campaigns on gofundme for medical procedures.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Parent's Drop Attempts to Bring Charlie Gard to U.S.l

@Oznell wrote:

The issues of parental autonomy raised by this case have attained a high profile now.  I hope that thoughtful Britons will begin a re-evaluation of the powers they have handed over to the bureaucratic state, and perhaps restore some of the primacy of the family in making decisions about minor children.

@Oznell- now the poor family is fighting to have Charlie die at home?  What's the logic in that? 

Respected Contributor

Re: Parent's Drop Attempts to Bring Charlie Gard to U.S.l

[ Edited ]

@Stray wrote:

@Oznell wrote:

The issues of parental autonomy raised by this case have attained a high profile now.  I hope that thoughtful Britons will begin a re-evaluation of the powers they have handed over to the bureaucratic state, and perhaps restore some of the primacy of the family in making decisions about minor children.

@Oznell- now the poor family is fighting to have Charlie die at home?  What's the logic in that? 

is it any of our affair?  

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

I feel that sometimes we want care for our love ones ,and ourselves that will only prolong what the result for us or them will be,no cure , with my husband he wanted chemo,i did not want him to have it ,because the chances were slim it would cure him,i knew it would make the weeks he had left ,just so bad,and he was just so very sick.

@goldensrbest  First, I'm sorry for what your DH went through.

However, the decision was made between two adults who could discuss the course of treatment, whether to accept it or not.

Charlie has no say in this matter; therefore the parents are next in line to decide.

We all understand how Britain works in these cases and that is the thorn in the sides of many-government deciding OR the parents.

I am extremely uncomfortable with any gov't deciding who is more qualified to live and who is not; quality of life can run such a range of degree-when does the gov't decide whose "quality" is less than another person and vice versa?

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

Hi Stray.  I think my guiding principle, and, I believe, one of the salient points of this case, is that, it is the family's prerogative, (barring criminality, of course), not the government's, to do what is in the best interest of the minor child.