Honored Contributor

Re: Parent company of HSN and QVC slashes hundreds of jobs, mostly at HSN in St. Pete

This is unfortunate news, but it was predictable.

Laying off 350 people before Christmas is very bad timing. 

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

Re: Parent company of HSN and QVC slashes hundreds of jobs, mostly at HSN in St. Pete

This is a common practice for company mergers.

Trusted Contributor

Obviously it was in the shipping department.

Super Contributor

They have definitely slashed costs in other areas. Soon after the merger was originally announced, the graphics on HSN's television shows changed and not for the better. It now looks cheap and old, almost exactly like eVine's. it is really a horrible look.what a shame.

Respected Contributor

@blackhole99  Last report I saw was that there are more jobs waiting for people than there are people looking for jobs.  What's your point?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

As someone who has been through a company buyout 4 times and counting, it's what happens. 

You end up with duplicate personnel especially in the areas of upper management, Payroll/HR, and Marketing. 

Most people low on the totem pole locally will be fine.  It's the upper echelon and mid-management who oversee the company's day to day like marketing and employee resources who need to worry. 

And I agree that no one likes to lose their job but it's one of the best times to have it happen if it has to happen.   

And it can be the best thing that can happen to you as well.  New employers bring their own ideas and plenty of mistakes because you are their new toy and it's painful for the employees who remain to take the brunt of the newbie's learning curve.   

Been there.  Still going through it.  

Honored Contributor

@Laura14, you are so very right!  When my DH retired from the military and we moved back to my hometown, the bank I left after working there for 17 yrs. had just acquired another bank, along with it's employees, therefore they didn't have room for me, it happens!

Honored Contributor

@Hooty  My parents finally got out of banking because they were so crazy like that.  Mergers are wild!

Honored Contributor

@Cats3000 wrote:

@blackhole99  Last report I saw was that there are more jobs waiting for people than there are people looking for jobs.  What's your point?

@Cats3000  just what you said, there are plenty of jobs all over the place. I don't know what else you would be reading into my post.