Respected Contributor

Paraplegic Man Walks and will eventually get implants in his skull and limbs

In the meantime it is with this bulky equipment on his knees and ankles that bypasses the signal from the spine but he is walking on his own. 

http://www.komando.com/happening-now/327269/a-paraplegic-man-just-took-his-first-steps-with-his-own-...

Honored Contributor

Re: Paraplegic Man Walks and will eventually get implants in his skull and limbs

This is just fascinating, and wonderful. I really do believe that we will see much advancement in this area, and so many people will be helped to move again. Such wonderful news.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Paraplegic Man Walks and will eventually get implants in his skull and limbs

Our local newspaper had an article on this young man recently, from our area, know his mom. This exoskeleton technology has the potential to improve lives dramatically. What is also so cool is that he holds down a full time job and gets the highest compliments from his employer. His dreams are alive!

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Honored Contributor

While it is wonderful that people who are paralysed are making some headway, not being able to walk is only a very small portion of the problem. People who are paralysed also do not have control over their bladder and bowels and are incontinent. They also have spasms and pain, frequently get pneumonia and other terrible infections.My Dad was a quadraplegic from a car accident. He only survived for 7 months ,plagued with infections and died of pneumonia.

Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

While it is wonderful that people who are paralysed are making some headway, not being able to walk is only a very small portion of the problem. People who are paralysed also do not have control over their bladder and bowels and are incontinent. They also have spasms and pain, frequently get pneumonia and other terrible infections.My Dad was a quadraplegic from a car accident. He only survived for 7 months ,plagued with infections and died of pneumonia.

Thank you for this information.  Sorry to read about your dad.  

Respected Contributor

My dad would have loved to see this day........he always believed one day they would figure out how to make paraplegics walk............he would have been the first in line to try this..............................................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Esteemed Contributor

I know far too many that this would benefit. I have high hopes that this will become a reality.