Trusted Contributor

Re: Pantone’s new colors of the year

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

Yellow and gray.

What makes Pantone the "experts" on color?

What criteria do they use to determine the "color(s)" of the year?

Not being snarky, just curious .

@Anonymous032819 

You can go to their website and read about how they make these predictions. Multiple factors are taken into account. 

Respected Contributor

Yellow looks awful with my skin tone....and so does that pale shade of gray.

I won't be tempted by fashions in those colors.

Honored Contributor

A pastel yellow can be soothing but a bright yellow can be stimulating.

Gray is subtle but paired with other calming colors such as blue and green can be calming, too.

I cannot see this yellow paired with this gray, however.

Neither color standing alone looks good on me; lighter yellow in a print is ok if mixed with other colors but gray just makes me fade away.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Trusted Contributor

What a pretty yellow! Very pure shade, clear and bright. 

The gray is a nice, neutral one as well. In home decor, it alwayus seems like there's always either a gray or a beige. Lately, seems like both. This gray would be easy to live with, depending on what you put with it. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Article in The NY Times about the colors. (They look more saturated in the photos there.)

“No one color could get across the meaning of the moment,” Laurie Pressman, the vice president of the Pantone Color Institute, said on a call. “We all realized we cannot do this alone. We all have a deeper understanding of how we need each other and emotional support and hope.”

Hence, said Leatrice Eiseman, the executive director of the Pantone Color Institute, the decision to select “two independent colors really coming together.”

And just to head this off at the pass ... no, nobody is telling you that you must wear them. People get so indignant about it whenever they are announced. It just means that they will be featured and should be easy to find in clothing, accessories, home goods, etc.

Honored Contributor

Big meh!

Esteemed Contributor

I can't say I don't miss the days of Rose Quartz and Serenity but I suppose, like dogs, every color must have its day. 

I actually can't think of too many colors I don't like including yellow and gray so, all in all, not a bad choice, imo.

Honored Contributor

@golding76 wrote:

Big meh!

Me, too!  

Respected Contributor

Pantone IS color...it's the best place to look for color. The color inspo spot is Pantone.

I have about half dozen of their color books  (slip books) with what you would think is every conceivable color known to man.

I love those things.  

Guess it's just me.

Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

I like pale yellows. But gray again?   I feel like there has been so much gray over the past few years, in fashion as well as in home decor.  I find it very blah.