Respected Contributor

Re: Panic is building at Costco

@Ms tyrion2  We don't have self checkouts at Costco so I don't know for sure, but maybe you can't even buy wine at the self checkout.  Or I guess someone has to come over to verify your age.  You'll be getting looks from the people behind you Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@VanSleepy wrote:

@Ms tyrion2  We don't have self checkouts at Costco so I don't know for sure, but maybe you can't even buy wine at the self checkout.  Or I guess someone has to come over to verify your age.  You'll be getting looks from the people behind you Smiley Happy

You can buy wine. The last time I did, there was a person there to check ID in seconds.

Honored Contributor

They don't sell alcohol in Costco, BJ's by me. Nor do they have self scanners.

Esteemed Contributor

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

I have to go to Costco tomorrow.

I need a new phone and the one I want is offering a $300 gift card as an incentive. I won't have a chance to go this weekend.  Too good to pass up.

I know it will be crowded. I am getting on the road early to get there at opening.  I am taking a whole lot of patience with me.

On the positive side, Costco stores in my area now how have some self check registers. I need wine and a pie too, so I hope the self check will help.

They recently opened up self check registers at the Sam's where I shop. There's not a lot of room on the conveyor belt so people with tons of stuff tend to ignore them which makes them great for people like me who very rarely have more than 10 items. Good luck getting your phone and that $300 gift card. Sounds like a great deal! Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Must have lucked out.  We have a rural Costco if that makes sense. However because it is large with a huge parking lot and always stocked we get people coming from all around even skipping their own  Costco. We are always busy and our lanes are always open and lightening fast.  Went there yesterday with full parking lot and long lines.  Got through the store in minutes.  Had cashiers and cashier helpers and then supervisors who were running around tossing purchases on the checkout counter.  And yes we do have self service lines.  I avoid them  1.  Takes jobs away  (Stores  like our local Giant Eagle are almost all self service and business is down.  2.  I am not in the mood to shop and then check myself out.  Not my job.  Gets confusing with some products.  My take on it anyway.  

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

ah yes our wonderful liquor laws,  I think the Wayne store has liquor , state has a limit of 2 stores per chain.. 

Respected Contributor

@bonnielu  I'm with you regarding self checkout.  Won't do it. Save people's jobs, plus not in the mood to "work" for the store.  I pay them for my purchases.  

Plus, I'd probably foul up the computerized system.

Also, I like a little human interaction and most checkers I've encountered are really personable.

Honored Contributor

COSTCO:

86C1C827-0930-4B1C-9B50-AB01AD02CE2F.gif

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

ah yes our wonderful liquor laws,  I think the Wayne store has liquor , state has a limit of 2 stores per chain.. 

@jackthebear. Yup, the wonderful liquor laws! Now I am in NY right over the border and have almost the same laws. Can't get away from them.

Honored Contributor

I did all of my grocery shopping this morning.  Both the supermarket and local farm market were packed!  Glad to have it over & done with!