Respected Contributor

Re: Pandemic food waste--dumped milk smashed eggs

@PINKdogWOOD 

The original post already addresses your  concerns.  All that commercial farmers can do is........do the best they can with a real mess and still be around to produce food the next time.

As noted well in the story, they do give away as much food as  they can to be logistically and financially feasible.

Not all recipients can accept all the donations, for various reasons.

The situation is very well described in the story.

Honored Contributor

This is troubling, also with the transportation problems,  this is a real concern.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

statescounties/ cities should coordinate this oversupply with local food banks !!!  

Esteemed Contributor

@Pook wrote:

Right it's not possible to get businesses open and everyone back to work without great loss in lives.  Those who advocate seem to think they are special and will not get it.  Lives are way more important now!

@Pook You think a destroyed economy will not cost lives?  Think again.  People will lose businesses they have spent years building.  They could be wiped out financially.  Then what?  Depression leading to suicide.  Drug use leading to overdoses.  Armed robbery to feed their family.  Those are all very real possibilities.  It is a balancing act for sure.  But I think we need to start now to get people back to work.  Everyone can all wear masks and stay away from each other, wash hands, etc.  And don't be fooled by all this "loan" and "stimulous" money they are handing out top businesses.  I know first hand that very few businesses have gotten it and it is WAY less money than initially promised.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Trusted Contributor

To open the country again we need testing, testing, testing. I hear the COVID-19 Task Force say we have so many tests available, why then are ppl begging to be tested? Yes, the economy is very important, but not when you are going to endanger ppl's lives. If fast testing is available, why not using it or are we saving it for the politicians? Essential workers should be tested before going to work and after their shift each day. They are dying right now.

If you think opening up the country is a super-fantastic idea but don't want to see more testing, I nominate you and your loved ones to go first. Deal?????

Honored Contributor

@Patriot3 wrote:

@Puppy Lips wrote:
I have seen reports of milk dumping on the news. That is a real shame. This economic shut down is hurting a lot of people and I hope it ends soon. We simply cannot keep everyone home until every last trace of the virus is gone, as some have suggested. We have to get back to work. As it is, some businesses will never recover and others will take years to do so, all due to no fault of their own.

@Puppy Lips  I so agree with you.  We cannot allow our economy to suffer any more.  The virus is always going to be there.  What are our people supposed to do to survive economically.  It's a gamble either way. 

Whoever designed this virus to destroy the economy is slowly succeeding!

Between putting the economy before lives and the sly nod to a conspiracy, I don't put any faith in your suggestion.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

The Agriculture department should be handling this. This is all fixable. They need to get on it.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

I am sorry for my choice of words, some of you will think I may be awful say this but I think this is disgusting and uncalled for what these farmers are doing. The big dump - what is up with this????

I totally understand they have contracts with grocery stores and or restaurants to sell only to them but I also totally think they can for this time period harvest the food, milk the cows and distribute their goods to food banks, to neighbors, open up the farms for people to go to and pick the tomatoes to take home, to feed the hungry, give to the poor.

To dump thier crops and milk is pitiful, sad, uncalled for. What ever happened to GIVING.

@PINKdogWOOD Farmers are in farming to make a living and I will tell you it is not easy with the weather, regulations, market swings and shipping problems.

You think they can afford to do anything but dump that milk?  How are they supposed to distribute it?  Probably the milk is picked up at the dairy by a contractor.

You can't just take milk out of a cow and give it to people.  It has to be filtered, pasturized, cooled, processed and backed--all which are costly. 

People have to make a living.  And things just don't happen.  It's costly to get a farm product to you.  ANY farm product. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@wishmoon wrote:

To open the country again we need testing, testing, testing. I hear the COVID-19 Task Force say we have so many tests available, why then are ppl begging to be tested? Yes, the economy is very important, but not when you are going to endanger ppl's lives. If fast testing is available, why not using it or are we saving it for the politicians? Essential workers should be tested before going to work and after their shift each day. They are dying right now.

If you think opening up the country is a super-fantastic idea but don't want to see more testing, I nominate you and your loved ones to go first. Deal?????

The poster didn't say we don't need more testing.  She's making the very reasonable point that the best solution is likely not going to be either/or, but both/and.  Striking the right balance will be hard, and may differ not only from region to region but also from state to state and even within states.  Mischaracterizing a poster's statement does not make yours stronger.

Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Patriot3 wrote:

@Puppy Lips wrote:
I have seen reports of milk dumping on the news. That is a real shame. This economic shut down is hurting a lot of people and I hope it ends soon. We simply cannot keep everyone home until every last trace of the virus is gone, as some have suggested. We have to get back to work. As it is, some businesses will never recover and others will take years to do so, all due to no fault of their own.

@Puppy Lips  I so agree with you.  We cannot allow our economy to suffer any more.  The virus is always going to be there.  What are our people supposed to do to survive economically.  It's a gamble either way. 

Whoever designed this virus to destroy the economy is slowly succeeding!

Between putting the economy before lives and the sly nod to a conspiracy, I don't put any faith in your suggestion.

The posters whose takes differ from yours weren't "putting the economy before lives," and they acknowledged that whatever balance is struck will be a gamble.  How does caricaturing their statements (and dismissing their well-founded concern about the virus's impact on the economy as "a sly nod to conspiracy"), add credibility to yours?