Honored Contributor

Re: Paltry Social Security COLA Increase Announced For 2017

@lovestopaint wrote:

Not happy.

I think you know what to do.

What?  Get a part time  job....

Respected Contributor

I am one of those late Medicare folk; actually took it out 5 years ago with a high penality for being late, which I found understandable. Last year,a bill newly enacted by Congress put me in the same payment category as those current late comers, even though I had already been in the system for 5 years. After calling Medicare with no explanation from the employees there I insisted on speaking to a supervisor who looked up the wording of the lastest Bill on this subject.   Last year my Medicare coverage for part B was about $250. a month, an increase of $40.00.over the year before.  Add to that amount the cost of supplemental insurance and it is sure to all go up again this year.

Honored Contributor

Well, I am getting $5.54 and I am happy to be getting that. If I told you what we had to go through to get a raise when I was working you would never believe it. And if they raise my medicare to use up my COLA raise - so be it. I'm still happy & appreciative to have SS and Medicare, and so should every one else who is getting it. I am always amazed at how many here whine about their SS - you know you should thank the Lord every month when that check arrives - a lot of people in this world are much worse off than you, plus there are many out there who want desparately to take it away from us.

Honored Contributor

It's  true SS was meant to supplement savings but since income is reduced by the SS that's  taken out of wages  many find nothing left after living expenses to save. Added to that is the low interest paid on savings.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I know what to do--thank the Lord that we live in a country that has this insurance for older workers.

I don't expect and haven't budgeted for COL increases, because I have never gotten COL increases in any job I have held.  I am happy to have a base-line income, though, for when I retire and that is all I am counting on.

A lot of folks in both parties would love to raid the Social Security funds for present needs, and reduce the benefits--and both parties therefore require careful watching.

I do not expect "raises".  Why on earth would anyone?  We need to get back the money we paid in, and over and above that any increase is welcome but hardly mandated. 

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Well, I am getting $5.54 and I am happy to be getting that. If I told you what we had to go through to get a raise when I was working you would never believe it. And if they raise my medicare to use up my COLA raise - so be it. I'm still happy & appreciative to have SS and Medicare, and so should every one else who is getting it. I am always amazed at how many here whine about their SS - you know you should thank the Lord every month when that check arrives - a lot of people in this world are much worse off than you, plus there are many out there who want desparately to take it away from us.

People worked for this. It's not a gift. If they could have invested this money over a lifetime ,with compounded interest, they may well have done better  without SS

I thank my husband for a lifetime of hard work, and so should everyone who paid into the system

Trusted Contributor

I wonder what steps can be taken to improve on this system?

QVC Customer Care

Honored Contributor

@3suwm5 wrote:

I don't think there is anything wrong with the system -= people need to have REALISTIC expectations.

Trusted Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@3suwm5 wrote:

I don't think there is anything wrong with the system -= people need to have REALISTIC expectations.

@151949 I think it all goes back to responsibility.  If that's not been taught, good luck.  We don't collect SS yet, I worry how the drain on this country will affect those programs.