Respected Contributor

Veep said it starts end of the week.

Esteemed Contributor

Big employers can & should do this. I don't see how small businesses can be forced to do this. A lot of them can't afford it.

My girlfriends husband is an accountant for a small family run business.He was already told that they can't afford to pay him if he can't come to work.He doesn't have the ability to work from home.So he would have to use his 5 days of sick time or his allotted vacation time .If he uses that up he's out of luck.His boss said that if they had to close & were forced to pay employees they will have no choice but to close the business.

My DH is lucky.He works for a big company.He has worked from home 4 days a week for the last several years.His boss just told him not to bother to come in at all.To just work from home indefinitely.

The trickle down affects of this virus can cripple the country.I hope & pray we all come out in one piece, safe & financially secure.

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is political.

Honored Contributor

I recently retired from a huge international corporation.  Over the last 10 years, they took away a lot of benefits including a huge chunk of PTO.  It's difficult to imagine them voluntarily giving additional paid time off if diagnosed.  Who knows, there is always a chance they'll grow grow hearts.

Esteemed Contributor

The Wynne in Las Vegas will offer full pay if you are out sick with the COVID-19 virus.  They also offer 5 days sick pay in addition to this.

I applaud them for doing what they can.

Honored Contributor

This may sound odd, but my husband works for UPS and they have no sick leave and no PTO.

They get paid very well, they get up to 6 weeks of vacation when there for years, but they make them schedule vacation for the year, by January 1st. He has short and long term disability (I think we pay for those), but he has no pay if he has to be off sick for a few days with an illness. 

He has almost 20 years in and has never missed a day. I'm guessing if he had a health issue, they would load his vacation pay to cover it till it ran out, but they have no sick days, and nothing like a PTO that you can take at the drop of a hat for issues like sickness. 

It may not be that way in all UPS areas, and he is not a Teamster, but part of a different union, which might cause this. But I've always thought for the excellent pay and benefits they do have, the lack of even a few days sick leave per year was odd.

Honored Contributor

@doxie1 wrote:

@KarenQVC 

Do you have corona virus?

doxie

She thinks anyone that wants the test should just be able to go have it done, multiple times if need be...

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@doxie1 wrote:

@KarenQVC 

doxie

She thinks anyone that wants the test should just be able to go have it done, multiple times if need be...

I'm curious how her test opinions and whether she has the virus have anything to do with the subject of this thread? I must be missing something.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@doxie1 wrote:

@KarenQVC 

doxie

@CelticCrafter 

Thank you for your response.

doxie

Honored Contributor

Last I heard it got killed in the Senate. Should have negotiated and figured that all out before announcing it.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr