Honored Contributor

Paging @dooBdoo

[ Edited ]

Hi!  Just wondering if you've done the operating system upgrades for either the MacBook or the iPhone. If so, how did it go?  Thanks!

Honored Contributor

Re: Paging @dooBdoo

[ Edited ]

Krimpette wrote:

Hi!  Just wondering if you've done the operating system upgrades for either the MacBook or the iPhone. If so, how did it go?  Thanks!

Hi, @Krimpette!   My iPhone 5 isn't compatible with iOS 11 (sigh), but there are reports and reviews from other posters in "Electronics."

I installed High Sierra (macOS 10.13) on my Mac as soon as it was released early on Monday.   Very seamless download and install, took a total of about an hour (not everyone will have the same download or installation time, since there are so many variables).   Once the installation is complete, you can walk through a brief review of the new features.  Most of the changes are "under the hood" rather than obvious, and I'll post a link to a detailed article about that.   In general, I like it very much.  I appreciate the the increased privacy features in Safari, and I see a noticeable improvement in performance.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

Re: Paging @dooBdoo

[ Edited ]

Detailed review and description of macOS 10.13 High Sierra:

macOS 10.13 High Sierra: The Ars Technica review

9/25/2017

"If you've felt like the last few macOS releases have been a little light, High Sierra won't change your mind.   That's not because there's nothing here but because most of Apple's development work this time around went into under-the-hood additions and updates to foundational technologies...."

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/09/macos-10-13-high-sierra-the-ars-technica-review/

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo  Thanks so much!  Turns out I probably am going to have to replace my old MacBook Pro.  (Going to the Apple store tomorrow).  I wonder if they will have that operating system upgrade already loaded (I hope, I hope, I hope!!!).  Thanks again for sharing your awesome expertise.

Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo  I was going to update to this tonight, but it isn't in my  available updates (not sure what to call that).  Do I have to go to Apple's website to do this, or will it show up soon?

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Krimpette wrote:

@dooBdoo  Thanks so much!  Turns out I probably am going to have to replace my old MacBook Pro.  (Going to the Apple store tomorrow).  I wonder if they will have that operating system upgrade already loaded (I hope, I hope, I hope!!!).  Thanks again for sharing your awesome expertise.

You're welcome, @Krimpette!   Thank you for your kind words...  not really "awesome expertise" but just sharing what I can if I think I might be able to help.   Best of luck with your new computer!   They'll be able to update it for you,so it all should be fine.

Honored Contributor

NickNack wrote:

@dooBdoo  I was going to update to this tonight, but it isn't in my  available updates (not sure what to call that).  Do I have to go to Apple's website to do this, or will it show up soon?

@NickNack,  I just now saw your post.   By now you probably already found it, but in case you didn't...   just go to the App Store (or the Apple.com support site) and you can find High Sierra and download it.    The update notifications are rolled out gradually, over many days, to try and balance out the number of people trying to access Apple's servers for downloads.

Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo. Well, I'm back from my Apple store, however, my new laptop does not have High Sierra.  At the store I go to, they are somewhat reluctant to do the upgrade, since there are so many variables as to how long the upgrade will take.  Interesting to note...even the guy at the Genius Bar hasn't upgraded to High Sierra yet!!!!  As to my old laptop. all I needed was a new power cord (whew!) but, because of it's advancing years, I went aheard and purchased a new MacBook Pro.  Believe it or not, that store is so busy that I had to wait at least 15 minutes just to be able to BUY the new computer!  Fortunately, I had an appointment for the Genius Bar, so that went smoothly.  Apple employees are awesome!!!!!!  Thanks again!!!!