Honored Contributor

📣 Paging ** CARMIE **

@Carmie 

Just curious.......

In your "Medicare" insurance experience do you know why "Advantage" plans are pushed so heavily?

Asking because every year around this time, our community has someone from ???????? (management says Medicare but, some of us know they are not) who talks about what's new in Medicare & the plans in the new year.  In the 7 yrs I've lived here, the convo is 97% about "Advantage" plans.  Regular supplemental plans are just skimmed over.

I only go to these meetings out of curiosity to find out the new stuff coming out & make notes in my "Medicare & You" booklet. Smiley Tongue

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Valued Contributor

Re: 📣 Paging ** CARMIE **

Hi @Mz iMac  I'm curious about this,too. So I'll be watching this thread for @Carmie  to reply.

My supplement sent me mail about switching to an

Advantage plan, but so far I don't think I''ll do that.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Valued Contributor

Hi @Carmie   Thank you for your reply. I have Florida Blue Plan C, and the RX part D.  Think I'll just keep it.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie  "They make a bigger profit with these plans in most areas."

"The more people you have in each Advantage plan, the better the costs are spread out. They count on some people ( mostly new enrollees) not needing expensive medical care."

That is what we figured.  Lately ALL the "Advantage" plans who are allowed to operate in  Southern N.J. have TV commercials on HEAVY rotation.  They have "deep" pockets.

Your imput is much appreciated......

TY Languages.png

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Regular Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Carmie  "They make a bigger profit with these plans in most areas."

"The more people you have in each Advantage plan, the better the costs are spread out. They count on some people ( mostly new enrollees) not needing expensive medical care."

That is what we figured.  Lately ALL the "Advantage" plans who are allowed to operate in  Southern N.J. have TV commercials on HEAVY rotation.  They have "deep" pockets.

Your imput is much appreciated......

TY Languages.png

The reason there are tons of ads right now, is because it s open enrollment for Advantage plans. This is the only time of the year that you can change your Advantage plan. 

Valued Contributor

Many years ago (many!) I used to sell these plans.  I was very young.

I can tell you that nothing is free.  When I see these plans advertised, I think "how can all of these services be FREE?"  

Carmie gave a great explanation.

I believe if you have any medical issues you are most likely better off with a traditional Medicare and a supplement (plus a prescription plan).

I'm hoping this will be the right decision for me and my husband Smiley Happy