Honored Contributor

Re: Packages suspect of containing Ricin delivered to Oentago

[ Edited ]

One of the Senators of my state has his one of his office's just down the hall from me.  I remember back in the 90's going in and out at will to see the staff ect.. and say hi.  Many years ago the door had to be locked and a peep hole for viewing installed.  So sad that the world got this way.  We have certainly had protesters and like on our floor in the building and I have even had disgruntled voters come in office lost.  In person or in the mail this hatred is just insane and evil. 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

They may have their man.  A man who is a former felon who has served time in prison and who served in the Navy in 1998 for four years, has been arrested. 

That was quick. 

Honored Contributor

Oentago??

Honored Contributor

I believe that was just a typo for "Pentagon", @ValuSkr.  The word is spelled correctly in the OP's first post.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell  Thank you for the clarification.  I don't always keep up with the news and wondered if Oentago was a person I should know.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

NBC news is now reporting that the ricin package sent to the Pentagon is believed by authorities to be part of a series of suspicious mail delivered within the last few days to Secretary Mattis, the President, and Senator Ted Cruz of Texas.  Two people exposed to the substance in the Cruz mailing have been hospitalized.

All the packages are believed to have been sent by the same person.

@Oznell  The two persons were taken to the hospital for testing, which turned out to be negative.  They were not hospitalized.  The two persons were not part of Senator Cruz's campaign staff, either.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

Ah, that's interesting, @Cakers3.  That initial NBC report says the two people were hospitalized.  I wonder if it's a matter of semantics-- perhaps they meant they were 'seen' at hospital as a result of exposure to the contents.  Funny how news stories tend to evolve, initial briefs are not always totally accurate!

The contents were opened in the lobby of the building, according to Senator Cruz's spokeswoman, which probably accounts for the fact that it was not his direct staffers who were exposed.  I also find it fascinating that their mail is examined and screened, apparently, outside of the actual office to which it is addressed.  Probably an abundance of caution, in these days of unbridled passions and attacks, I would think.

Respected Contributor

Suspicious letter delivered with alleged 'ricin' sent to Sen.

Susan Collins' Maine home.

A hazardous materials team was called to the home of

Sen. Susan Collins Monday, after they received a

threatening letter that the writer claimed was contaminated

with ricin, a highly hazardous substance. 

Parts of the home were quarantined while the letter

was analyzed. The affected areas have since been cleared

and Senator Collins, her husband, Tom Daffron and their

dog were able to remain at home last night. The testing of

the letter, as well as the investigation into its origins,

remain ongoing.

Monday's incident is the latest in a series of threats against

Senator Collins, her loved ones, and her staff.

Honored Contributor

Wow, @MorningLover, these deadly "poisoners by mail" are so creepily fascinating, to me at least.  They remind me of people who send bombs in the mail--  violence "once removed".  They are so utterly cowardly and horrible.