Honored Contributor

I'm not in favor of pacifiers aka mouth plugs. Then, in a few years the question will be how to separate the child from his pacifier.

Respected Contributor
On 3/11/2015 KathyPet said: when my grandson was born I was surprised to,find out that all that sterilizing of bottles, nipples, pacifiers etc is no longer considered necessary. Both the nurses in the hospital where she delivered and her pediatrician told her it was not needed.

you're right..........they don't go to all the extremes they used to......and that's a good thing......kids need to start building immunities................................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Esteemed Contributor
On 3/11/2015 occasional rain said:

I'm not in favor of pacifiers aka mouth plugs. Then, in a few years the question will be how to separate the child from his pacifier.

My oldest son was attached to his pacifier. My next door neighbor frowned on pacifiers, but her daughter was a thumb sucker. When the time came to break my 2 1/2 yr. old of his pacifier habit, we told him that the Easter bunny didn't bring eggs to little boys who slept with a pacifier. He ran to the trash can and threw it away. The bunny left a note on his pillow the next day saying how proud he was of him and that there would be a lot of eggs in his basket. Problem solved. Permanently. The little girl next door still had her thumb in her mouth at home when she was school aged! So in my experience, it's easier to separate a child from the pacifier than from his thumb.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

i had two that used pacifiers and one that sucked her middle finger AND index finger together......believe me, it was A LOT easier to stop the pacifier use than to stop the fingers.....that lasted far too long!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor
On 3/11/2015 sunshine45 said:

i had two that used pacifiers and one that sucked her middle finger AND index finger together......believe me, it was A LOT easier to stop the pacifier use than to stop the fingers.....that lasted far too long!

If it were that easy for everyone we wouldn't see five year olds out and about with a pacifier stuck in their mouths. I'd rather see a five year old with her thumb in her mouth than a pacifier.

Honored Contributor

My older son had a much harder time giving up his thumb than his brother did giving up his pacifier. Neither kid needed braces -- nice, straight teeth.

Super Contributor
Thanks for all the info. I read it to my daughter. Demitra
Honored Contributor

One of my kids used a pacifier and when he talked with the pacifier in his mouth, I would tell him I cannot understand you with the pacifier in your mouth. He finally realized that if people wanted to hear/understand him, he had to ditch the pacifier. That is how I solved the pacifier problem with my son.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

I would just wash the whole thing in hot soapy water, rinse, and let it drip dry.

My son took a pacifier (and I heard from people who think theyre terrible and used to keep babies quiet until you feed them). NOT true! My son did not go without being fed on time. And, our Pediatrician (at the time) told us the pacifier is fine, because babies are used to suc#ing before birth.

HOWEVER I will say I don't believe in pacifiers when children are toddlers, just babies.

Also, my daughter never used one, she spit it out on her own from the beginning (lol).

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

I have heard from medical sites the best way to rid a stuffed animal of germ or even lice is to gently wash and dry. Then vacuum seal and place in freezer for a week if possible. They said if it was a treasured animal, or even doll with hair. Damp sponge it with gentle soap and water, Rub with towel to dry off. Place in dryer if you can, or line dry. Then vacuum seal and freeze as well.

They said this should be done to sanitize on a regular basis, or especially after a child has a cold,thrush, flu or any illness,

ETA..I found the article

Not all toys can go into the washing machine, so if your child's favorite stuffed animal has to be surface cleaned, use a mild detergent and warm water to thoroughly scrub the stuffed animal's exterior. Maneuver your washcloth into every nook and cranny, then clean the animal again with plain water to get rid of any lingering detergent residue, which can make the stuffed animal’s fur feel stiff or look clumpy. After you've cleaned them and let them dry in the sun, close stuffed animals in a plastic freezer bag and store them in the freezer for at least 72 hours to sanitize them, suggests the University of Florida Pediatric Pulmonary Division.