Esteemed Contributor

Re: PSA - Just a Heads Up/Reminder

[ Edited ]

I demand that you disclose your sources!

Trusted Contributor

Just to clear up a mistatement in this thread, Twitter is not charging a user fee.

Twitter is instating a fee for those people who qualify to have a blue "verified" check mark next to their name, validating for readers that they are reading/tweeting with the actual person/entity stated. IE: Celebrities, CEO's, Reality TV stars, Magazine's, Newspapers etc.

It was going to be $20 per month, then he lowered it to $8.00 per month when the verified threw a fit.

You have to have a reason to be verified. Anyone can make an account with a well known person's name, and it could be a bot or a fake. You have to apply to be verified and most people who are verified can afford the $8.00/month. As Elon said "can't live on just ad revenue". Twitter has not been profitable since it was born 12 years ago.

I am not a big Twitter user, I read it sometimes when I am bored, but I really hope he cleans house with the bot users. 

As far as moderation, it was never very well moderated before he bought it. Hardly anything violated terms of service so I hope he cleans up the terms of service and puts in place a good department of actual moderaters.

Esteemed Contributor

@chessylady wrote:

I am not a Twitter user but it will be an unreliable source of information going forward. Up to 50% of it's workforce will be fired today. There is no way that effective moderation can take place. Existing employees say that Elon Musk, billionaire and new owner, is out of his depth. Musk intends to monetize the platform by imposing a monthly user fee($8,$20?). 

@chessylady 

You choose the word moderation. I choose the word censorship. Musk "out of his depth", and said by employees! Wonder how many of them have run a business, much less billion $$ businesses. And he's "out of his depth"? I don't chuckle too easily, but that one did it.

😅

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@chessylady wrote:

I am not a Twitter user but it will be an unreliable source of information going forward. Up to 50% of it's workforce will be fired today. There is no way that effective moderation can take place. Existing employees say that Elon Musk, billionaire and new owner, is out of his depth. Musk intends to monetize the platform by imposing a monthly user fee($8,$20?). 

"Going forward?"  So it was a reliable source before?  Seriously?

Esteemed Contributor

LOL!  Now there are Twitter "experts" who have never been on the platform,  have never tweeted or even read tweets and suddenly know everything that will change!

Cracks me up hysterically!

Respected Contributor

@chessylady wrote:

I am not a Twitter user but it will be an unreliable source of information going forward. Up to 50% of it's workforce will be fired today. There is no way that effective moderation can take place. Existing employees say that Elon Musk, billionaire and new owner, is out of his depth. Musk intends to monetize the platform by imposing a monthly user fee($8,$20?). 

It's never been a reliable source. That's been part of the problem.

Respected Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

QVC forums are not a news outlet. 

I have no expectation that anything posted is factual. 

If interested,  I do my own research.   Otherwise, folks can post what they like within forum rules.

Agree with you but there was a picture posted yesterday insinuating it was a particular person. Even when it was pointed out, people responded based on their assumption. So obviously people here need to be reminded not to believe everything they read/see.

Esteemed Contributor

Musk is not charging “a user fee” but $8 for the blue check mark next to your name which verifies you as a user. You can still tweet free. You can opt in or out for the blue check mark

It’s a business. I pay for Amazon prime. Businesses are for profit. It’s not a charitable organizations.
Respected Contributor

This thread is not about Twitter. It's about being careful of what info you take as accurate.

Esteemed Contributor

@ThinkingOutLoud. You are right - it is a good reminder for everyone. Living in this day and age is, well, a bit exhausting.
Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead