Respected Contributor

PSA - Just a Heads Up/Reminder

[ Edited ]

Don't believe everything you read or see. Check the facts before reacting. 

~ Recently I've read of a church being targeted for vandalism because someone believed faulty reporting (an AP article) and didn't check/read the facts.

~ Recently I've read where the wrong people/school were harrassed because someone on TikTok shared who/where an incident happened. Again, totally false but the school was bombarded with calls, emails, messages.

~ Even here, I've seen people reacting to a post that was misleading.

These are just a few examples but there are more. Just something to keep in mind and worth mentioning to others as they may not be aware.

Respected Contributor

Re: PSA - Just a Heads Up/Reminder

I am not a Twitter user but it will be an unreliable source of information going forward. Up to 50% of it's workforce will be fired today. There is no way that effective moderation can take place. Existing employees say that Elon Musk, billionaire and new owner, is out of his depth. Musk intends to monetize the platform by imposing a monthly user fee($8,$20?). 

Respected Contributor

I subscribe to factcheck dot org, but "checking the facts" is one of the hardest things to do today.

Beside Googling a topic, what methods do people use to verify accuracy of an account?

Esteemed Contributor

QVC forums are not a news outlet. 

I have no expectation that anything posted is factual. 

If interested,  I do my own research.   Otherwise, folks can post what they like within forum rules.

Valued Contributor

Cultivate the ability to run down a story to its original source. Then check and double check that source. If it doesn't make sense, it's generally not true. If the source is anonymous or related to some undercover only we know the truth cult, it's definitely not true. Don't be duped or conned. Hard to do in this era of snake oil salesmen everywhere.

Honored Contributor

I'd like to think this would have been something everyone learned at a very young age...not so, I find frustratingly many believe what they are told and hear.  Then when hearing the truth, the facts, they say you are wrong.  

Honored Contributor

I watch quite a bit of CSPAN to get unedited, first-hand information from the people who said it.

Esteemed Contributor

@chessylady wrote:

I am not a Twitter user but it will be an unreliable source of information going forward. Up to 50% of it's workforce will be fired today. There is no way that effective moderation can take place. Existing employees say that Elon Musk, billionaire and new owner, is out of his depth. Musk intends to monetize the platform by imposing a monthly user fee($8,$20?). 

@chessylady LOL, like it was a reliable source before the takeover?  NOT.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Esteemed Contributor

LOL!  Twitter is predominantly an entertainment venue for adults.

Sort of like coming to QVC to read about current events.

Honored Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

QVC forums are not a news outlet. 

I have no expectation that anything posted is factual. 

If interested,  I do my own research.   Otherwise, folks can post what they like within forum rules.

@Johnnyeager QVC does not have nearly enough false and contrived information to ever be mistaken for a news outlet.