Honored Contributor

Re: PRince Philip is retiring

@SydneyH wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@SydneyH wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

It wan't meant for any one person @Tinkrbl44. There are numerous anti British and anti monarchy people here, pretty much all without facts, just anger.  The anger puzzles me, it's not their country and the UK is an American ally. 

Anger?  Can't we comment on the monarchy, which by the way is covered extensively by the US press, without being tagged as anti British or ill informed?

Who said you couldn't comment, you do often and no one stops you @SydneyH 

Yes, there are some who are angry, and I don't get it, can you explain it?  It's not our country, it really doesn't affect us at all, so why?

Nobody is going to stop me either, however your earlier comment seemed directed to people who don't respect or worship these people.  As for the not our country thing, we can still weigh in even if it doesn't affect our daily life, it doesn't amount to 'anger' unless you just don't like what's being said.

No one tried to stop you @SydneyH. And... you can't speak for everyone, there has been anger.  You exaggerate, no one worships anyone 🙄

Honored Contributor

Wow how the British monarchy brings out the venom in some posters. I don't worship them but find the whole idea fascinating. The best of health to the Queen and her husband.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

The article said he made 200 appearances in 2016 alone.  At his age, that can't have been easy.  He and the Queen have been dedicated public servants to England for many decades.  They serve the people, the people do not serve them.  I wish him the best.  Smiley Happy

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is argumentative

Esteemed Contributor

THe decision of who gets to be the British monarch next is not up,to the Queen.  SHe doesn't get to abdicate and choose who follows her.  the order of succession is established by British Law.  IT is not a popularity,contest

Esteemed Contributor

The Brits certainly don't mind giving their negative opinions about Americans. I don't see why negative opinions about their monarchy are unacceptable. Or anything else....

Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Katcat1 wrote:

The Queen needs to step down and let her son have the throne which I think he should give up to his son immediately.  Cat Very Happy

@Katcat1

Why?    Charles has been chomping at the bit to take over, and believes he is very, very relevant.  Why would he even consider stepping aside for William?    

@Tinkrbl44@kitkat1

Unless I'm mistaken, she could elect to skip him in favor of William, which I well could be, stil I agree with @Lucytink

IMO ~ Just because he's "been chomping at the bit"does not make him well qualified, and because "he believes he's very, very relevant" doesn't mean he is.  He's had NO real life experience, not even a job, which William has, and William's copybook is certainly much cleaner than his DAD's.

@Drythe - No, she cannot.  The succession line is decided by birth.  Charles is next in line to the throne and unless something happens to him before her death (or abdication - unlikely), he will become King Charles III.  The only way William would ascend the throne is if Charles, for whatever reasons, decided to abdicate.  Very unlikely!

Honored Contributor

@febe1 wrote:

The Brits certainly don't mind giving their negative opinions about Americans. I don't see why negative opinions about their monarchy are unacceptable. Or anything else....

LOL - who are all these Brits giving negative opinions about Americans?  Just curious, having lived there for 20 years.  I suppose it's like anything else; some have negative opinions, others have positive opinions.

Exactly the same as people in this country having negative and positive opinions about our own country and other places across the world.

The British monarchy has survived for a long time.  I think it can withstand some negative American opinions.  Woman LOL

Respected Contributor

Queen Elizabeth has NO say in who will come after her. There's a strict order and Charles will be King after her.

Respected Contributor

Prince Philip is to be congratulated for the decades he has provided public service for the Queen, his wife, and his country. When the Queen decides to step down or dies, I do hope that she has or will state that Prince William be her successor, which she can do.  The younger royals have breathed some new life, excitement and respect into the monarchy; no doubt Charles behavior should give the Queen the right to pass over him in favor of William. Prince William is decent and honorable, would be well received by the people of Britain.