Honored Contributor

Re: PRince Philip is retiring

[ Edited ]

@Noel7 wrote:

It amazes me that so many people in America have no idea what all the family does, especially the Queen.  I've posted reports on it before but facts don't seem to matter. 

@Noel7

If that veiled comment was directed at me, sorry, but I have read a great deal of information about the royal family, both pro and con.    That is exactly what I'm basing my opinion on.    (And, of course, you are entitled to your opinion.)

Truth is, all that they do could be done by civil servants at a much lower cost.    As you know, Parliament governs the country.    I also think the "tourism dollars" justification is inflated.   Since there's no way to calculate actual tourism dollars without the "monarchy factor", there's no way to make an accurate comparison.  It's just not possible.

Yes, they may be worshipped by the Brits, but they really are unnecessary.   JMO

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@software wrote:

I know this will be blasphemy to some, but when the Queen retires as well, this monarchy thing needs to RETIRE as well.   

ITA.

Just can't believe in this advanced day & age,

we still have something so antiquated as a monarchy.

There are still many monarchys in the world. Most of them are like the English one - they rule in name only and there is a parliment who actually run the country. A friend of mine is really into this monarchy thing and she follows many of them online.She knows their names and all about all of them. They are her hobby.

@151949

In your opinion, what does "rule in name only" mean to you?

Honored Contributor

It wan't meant for any one person @Tinkrbl44. There are numerous anti British and anti monarchy people here, pretty much all without facts, just anger.  The anger puzzles me, it's not their country and the UK is an American ally. 

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

It wan't meant for any one person @Tinkrbl44. There are numerous anti British and anti monarchy people here, pretty much all without facts, just anger.  The anger puzzles me, it's not their country and the UK is an American ally. 

@Noel7

Okay, sorry.   Thanks for responding.    Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@software wrote:

I know this will be blasphemy to some, but when the Queen retires as well, this monarchy thing needs to RETIRE as well.   

ITA.

There are still many monarchys in the world. Most of them are like the English one - they rule in name only and there is a parliment who actually run the country. A friend of mine is really into this monarchy thing and she follows many of them online.She knows their names and all about all of them. They are her hobby.

You could remove the word "monarchy" and substitute the word "Kardashian"

Her passion does not legitimize either.

Honored Contributor

I hope he saved enough money for his retirement😏

Honored Contributor

The british have a monarchy because the British people love their Queen and their royalty. I was married to a Brit and lived there for a while.The British aren't too enthralled with Prince Charles because they loved Diana - but they love love love Harry, Wills and Katherine and the kids. They will stand out in freezing cold and snow & rain just to see them.

Trusted Contributor

I have a hard enough time trying to wrap my brain around 67 when I will probably retire  Woman Surprised

Honored Contributor

@software wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@software wrote:

ITA.

You could remove the word "monarchy" and substitute the word "Kardashian"

Her passion does not legitimize either.

@software

You could, if you had no concept of history, the vote, and what they do.

Respected Contributor

Some fun facts:

prince-philip-baby-

Prince Philip was born on the island of Corfu as the only son of Prince Andrew of Greece and Denmark and Princess Alice of Battenberg

1. Philip first met the Queen, then Princess Elizabeth, at the wedding of Princess Marina of Greece and the Duke of Kent in 1934. For her, aged only eight, it was the beginning of what would become the love story of her life.

2. The Duke's pet names for the Queen include "sausage" and "cabbage".

3. In November 1947, Philip married Elizabeth at Westminster Abbey in a ceremony attended by royals from around the world, and watched by 200 million people on TV.

http://us.hellomagazine.com/royalty/2015061025706/prince-philip-birthday-facts-trivia/