Honored Contributor

Re: PRince Philip is retiring

@ncascade wrote:

The Queen was a mechanic during WW2 not a medic. She was a princess at that time.

You are correct @Group 5 minus 1 but she did drive an ambulance at one time during WW2.  Maybe that was the confusion.

Respected Contributor

I'm not British, but to me, the Royal Family are a symbol of country and patriotism for many in the UK and the Commonwealth.

I have several Canadian friends who have a great fondness for them.  On the other hand, I've had friends from Scotland who have not had that same fondness.  Smiley Happy

I think that a page was turned with Diana, and now William and Kate, and Harry.  I think Diana brought a more human side to the family, and her children will carry this on.

I think the monarchy will evolve.  It's already evolving with William and Kate. 

Personally, I've been fascinated with the Royals going back to King Henry VIII, and even before.  Mary Queen of Scots, Elizabeth I, even Lady Jane Grey, the Nine Days Queen.

Victoria, her children, all the way to the Prince of Wales marrying Mrs.Wallace, thus forcing George (Elizabeth's father) to become king and paving the way for her reign.

I find it all terribly interesting. 

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Honored Contributor

@Marienkaefer2 wrote:

I'm not British, but to me, the Royal Family are a symbol of country and patriotism for many in the UK and the Commonwealth.

I have several Canadian friends who have a great fondness for them.  On the other hand, I've had friends from Scotland who have not had that same fondness.  Smiley Happy

I think that a page was turned with Diana, and now William and Kate, and Harry.  I think Diana brought a more human side to the family, and her children will carry this on.

I think the monarchy will evolve.  It's already evolving with William and Kate. 

Personally, I've been fascinated with the Royals going back to King Henry VIII, and even before.  Mary Queen of Scots, Elizabeth I, even Lady Jane Grey, the Nine Days Queen.

Victoria, her children, all the way to the Prince of Wales marrying Mrs.Wallace, thus forcing George (Elizabeth's father) to become king and paving the way for her reign.

I find it all terribly interesting. 

Hi @Marienkaefer2

That's what I love, the history, especially because I'm Welsh and Irish.  A lot of blood was shed long ago, but that's pretty much all history.

I'm also fascinated by WW2 and the participation of America and the UK.

Honored Contributor

@Blahblahvampemer wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@seaBreeze wrote:

Every time I watch the movie, "The Patriot" ... I remember the torture & ruthless killings that our nation endured because of the British "monarchy."   As some have said, the concept of rule by Kings & Queens need to end, especially when it's time for Prince Charles & Camilla to begin their reign (what a joke).

@seaBreeze  Do you mean more than 200 years ago? 😧

Then I suppose you also remember all of the torture and murders of Native Americans and slaves by Americans. 

Better yet, let's remember current slavery all over Africa and Asia where it's quite common.  

@Blahblahvampemer

"Better" yet?

We need to know our own history first instead of trying to change the subject to cover it up.

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is argumentative

Honored Contributor

@Blahblahvampemer wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

I think it's great that Prince Philip is retiring.His many years of service is great.  However, he didn't exactly live a difficult life.  He hasn't worked a real job in decades.

There are many people in their seventies & beyond who get up every morning & put in a full day of actual work.They live modestly & struggle to pay their bills.

Prince Philip retiring from an easy life of public appearances is honorable but doesn't impress me.If he had to do what us regular people do he would have retired decades ago!!

@NicksmomESQ

I know the Brits like them, but they're a family of glorified ribbon cutters.   Yes, they make public appearances and wave a lot,  but they travel in a luxurious first class manner, and are coddled.    

I've read today's announcement and I still don't know why this was an "emergency" meeting.  He's not retiring for months yet.

One thing you left out is that they're also targeted for assassination.  I also wouldn't want to live in Buckingham Palace as it's cold, drafty, and a royal apartment is smaller than you think.

@Blahblahvampemer

I find that very surprising.  Yes, they must have some security because of the usual crazies out there ..... but "targeted for assassination"?   Seriously?    Who would even care enough to want them dead?    

If this happened, it wouldn't topple the government .... Parliament would still be in charge, so how would that act benefit anyone ....   or any other country?       

Respected Contributor

@Noel7

You and I could have great discussions over tea.  Smiley Happy

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Esteemed Contributor

@ScarletDove wrote:

Prince Philip is to be congratulated for the decades he has provided public service for the Queen, his wife, and his country. When the Queen decides to step down or dies, I do hope that she has or will state that Prince William be her successor, which she can do.  The younger royals have breathed some new life, excitement and respect into the monarchy; no doubt Charles behavior should give the Queen the right to pass over him in favor of William. Prince William is decent and honorable, would be well received by the people of Britain.

I don't know where you got the idea that the Queen can choose William over Charles to succeed her.  SHe cannot.  THe line of secession  is a British law called the Royal,Act of Secession.   THe law as it is written can only be changed by a Act of Parliment.  The  Queen has nothing to say about it.  

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Blahblahvampemer wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

I think it's great that Prince Philip is retiring.His many years of service is great.  However, he didn't exactly live a difficult life.  He hasn't worked a real job in decades.

There are many people in their seventies & beyond who get up every morning & put in a full day of actual work.They live modestly & struggle to pay their bills.

Prince Philip retiring from an easy life of public appearances is honorable but doesn't impress me.If he had to do what us regular people do he would have retired decades ago!!

@NicksmomESQ

I know the Brits like them, but they're a family of glorified ribbon cutters.   Yes, they make public appearances and wave a lot,  but they travel in a luxurious first class manner, and are coddled.    

I've read today's announcement and I still don't know why this was an "emergency" meeting.  He's not retiring for months yet.

One thing you left out is that they're also targeted for assassination.  I also wouldn't want to live in Buckingham Palace as it's cold, drafty, and a royal apartment is smaller than you think.

@Blahblahvampemer

I find that very surprising.  Yes, they must have some security because of the usual crazies out there ..... but "targeted for assassination"?   Seriously?    Who would even care enough to want them dead?    

If this happened, it wouldn't topple the government .... Parliament would still be in charge, so how would that act benefit anyone ....   or any other country?       

It would be a headline for awhile, that's about it......

Honored Contributor

As if the world is sitting around asking, "Diana who?"