Honored Contributor

PRIVATE SCHOOLS FOR SMALL CHILDREN - NECESSARY?

This thread isn't a question about the value of a good education.  We all know it makes a huge difference in peoples' lives.  It's about the curriculums offered in private schools.

I recently read an article about the private schools in England, and where some of the royals' children attend.   One school named was described as having a tuition of approximately $24,000 per year .... for students ages 4 to 7.   

If there are any educators out there .... what EXACTLY could students ages 4 to 7 be taught to justify a $24k per year price tag?   

Of course, if the parents are filthy rich, the cost really doesn't matter .....  but what are the kids that age being taught?  

Respected Contributor

Re: PRIVATE SCHOOLS FOR SMALL CHILDREN - NECESSARY?

I'm not familiar with private schools in England, but am all for it in this country after what I've seen going on in schools even in my small neck of the woods.  Have any of you heard of "furries"?  It's going on here.

Honored Contributor

It depends on the school. If it is private in order to exclude certain members of society, then it is bad no matter what they teach.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

This thread isn't a question about the value of a good education.  We all know it makes a huge difference in peoples' lives.  It's about the curriculums offered in private schools.

I recently read an article about the private schools in England, and where some of the royals' children attend.   One school named was described as having a tuition of approximately $24,000 per year .... for students ages 4 to 7.   

If there are any educators out there .... what EXACTLY could students ages 4 to 7 be taught to justify a $24k per year price tag?   

Of course, if the parents are filthy rich, the cost really doesn't matter .....  but what are the kids that age being taught?  

@Tinkrbl44 

I would say exclusivity and security are probably big reasons why parents enroll their children in private (here) and public (England) schools.  

As to whether education is better than where the masses go?  There are probably statistics on that somewhere.   

Honored Contributor

In my state, if I had small children I would send them to private school.  Our public schools are pitiful.  I'll never forget what an acquaintance of ours told us when he was being transferred out of Hawai'i to another post.  I'll quote him (without the actual "f" word). "I can't wait until moving day!  My kids can't read & write, but they can "f'ing" hula!"  Sad, but true...

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

haha.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

My grandson has been in private school since fifth grade and he is now a senior in high school.  Yes, it is very expensive but my grandson has gained confidence in his ability to learn, does not feel he is "stupid" and has been on the honor roll since freshman year and has made the honor society.

The difference in a private school for my grandson is the class size.  There have been no more than 12 in his class and that makes a tremendous difference in learning for the teachers as well as the students.  The teachers are able to address who is falling behind, or struggling and take the steps to help them go forward.

It's none of my business how much any parent pays for private schooling.  It's their choice.  I would think safety is definitely an issue...............Sandy Hook,  Uvalde, Texas especially here.  Good for those parents who are able to do that.

Respected Contributor

The high cost of private schools depends many times on if it is parochial or not. If it is a parochial school then a church is providing the space so there is no rent and the church also pays most of the staff salaries. Tuition paid by the parents will offset the costs. Private schools advantage regardless of age level is usually smaller classes. There are so many different types of curricula for private schools other than basic academic skills it is hard to know where the high tuition is justified. Almost every one is set up differently. Only the parents can decide if the tuition is worth it. We have many private schools here with every imaginable emphasis. Some focus on the arts, science, classical education, etc. some are boarding schools where the students live on campus throughout the school year then go home for the summer.  There are several here that are for special needs students and some are half day. I think all private schools teach basic academics...,and do them well due to having more parental involvement required than public schools are allowed to require. 

Esteemed Contributor

If I had small kids living where I am now, they would definitely be going to private school. Depending on the area, some of the public schools are not good. 

When I lived in the Northeast, our town had a Regional High School (included 3 or 4 towns). Before my kids were ready for high school I looked at the percentages that were going on to four year colleges and saw numbers in the 50s. And, there were many private boy schools their friends were attending in HS. They asked if there was one for girls - so began the search. They applied and were admitted to an all girls private Catholic HS which had percentage numbers in the 90s going to 4 yr schools. 

It was a commitment on our part as well as theirs as it was 1/2 hr away from our home. They had four great years in High School and I'm glad we were able to send them.

Honored Contributor

All of my grands went to or are currently in private schools since 1st grade.  Two of them in boarding schools since first grade. 

Others here have already mentioned the advantages.  My oldest grand went to a public high school & was skipped a grade.

Part of the tution goes for the cost of uniforms if that is the normal attire.

As far as costs, I've never asked as it is none of my business!

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif