Honored Contributor

PRINCESS CHARLOTTE'S HORSESHOE BROOCH

I seem to remember that note was taken here of Princess Charlotte's pretty diamond horseshoe brooch:

Princess-Charlotte-and-Prince-George.jpg

It also looked sweet, peeking out from surrounding pearls, when worn by the Queen Mother, when she was the Duchess of York:

the-duchess-of-york-future-queen-consort-to-king-george-vi-news-photo-1664216245.jpg

It was reportedly given to the then-Duchess, by Queen Mary.   Note also the very Art Deco bar pin on her hat-- love!

In those early years, she also wore some other Art Deco jewels, like the famous stack of Cartier bracelets given to her by her husband.  There were five in all-- two all-diamond, one sapphire and diamond, one ruby and diamond, and one emerald and diamond.

bandeau_lotus.jpg

They've always been among my favorites, sleek and modern-looking.   Here are four of the five up close:

bandeau_brace.jpg

And the tiara she's wearing above, is one of my favorite tiaras.  It's called "The Lotus Flower Tiara",  and she had it made from a necklace.   I like it much better than some of the more "spiky" ones.

Do you like it worn flapper-style, a bandeau low on the forehead, as she does, or do you prefer it high on the head?  On someone petite like her, and for the era, I think flapper style is so cute!

It's so beautiful-- here is it up close:

Screen Shot 2022-09-26 at 8.56.48 PM.png

Not only is the lotus flower a graceful motif, but here it has a vague resemblance to the Scottish thistle.  I wonder if that was in the back of her mind-- a subtle tribute to the native Scotland of Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon?

Just love it with the graduated-length pearl neclaces and other jewels!

Screen Shot 2022-09-26 at 8.52.02 PM.png

In recent times, others have worn it too.

Screen Shot 2022-09-26 at 9.24.07 PM.png

My favorite "famous" jewelry collection of all time is movie star Merle Oberon's;  but these historic rocks have a lot to be said for them too...

Regular Contributor

Re: PRINCESS CHARLOTTE'S HORSESHOE BROOCH

Thanks for posting!  I am fascinated with the royal jewelry and the history of the pieces.  A couple of months ago there was a post that popped up on my facebook page showing many of the crowns and other pieces and their stories.  I thoroughly enjoyed that too.  This is one of my favorite crowns.

Trusted Contributor

@Oznell The jewelry is extravagant and beautiful.  I always think about the circumstances of the jewelry relative to its origins and history.  Charlotte wears the brooch in one way and the Queen Mother wears it in another way. Is the up or down stance meaningful?  I seem to recall that there is some significance.  Do youj know?

Esteemed Contributor

What's a BROOCH?

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell 

Thank you for sharing this.  I never knew about the horseshoe and the signficance of it's "pass down."  That is quite signficant that Princess Charlotte is wearing it, at such a young age.  It appears Charlotte was one of the queen's favorites. 

Trusted Contributor

@hckynutjohn A brooch is a piece of jewelry typically attached to ones clothing or hats.  Some brooches can be worn as pins or pendants.

Trusted Contributor

@hckynutjohn wrote:

What's a BROOCH?

hckynut  🇺🇸

It's a pin

Honored Contributor

Isn't it interesting - seems like the tiara used to be worn so they were on the forehead. And now it is worn farther back on the head.

Guess I am not up to date on tiara wearing. Maybe because I never wore one.

I really like the diamond bracelets. But would never wear one. I have lost too much jewelry. But surprised that they are the same style. 

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you ladies. I was looking at all that jewelry and had no idea where to look for Horseshoe Brooch. I will go back and look for things that look like Pins.

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm not a diamond girl, but I do like those bracelets.  My taste runs to emeralds and pearls.  The emeralds can be faux as long as they make a sincere attempt at looking genuine. 

Odd that some precious stones appeal while others don't.  That's what makes the world go 'round, as they say.

About Charlotte and that tiny brooch.  I am certain Charlotte's wearing it was meant, in large measure, to honor the Queen.  I also think it identifies Charlotte as someone belonging to this elite circle.  She is royalty and is on her way to representing the British people. 

Last night I read that Charlotte's nickname among her school chums is "Lottie."  I love it!  Hope the little newsy tidbit is true. 

Thank you for bringing all this beauty together -- the photos and your gorgeous narrative.  Your comparison between the tiara's lotus flower and the Scottish thistle was a delight.  I had to look up what a Scottish thistle looks like to appreciate your commentary fully.