Honored Contributor

PRINCE WILLIAM SPEAKS AT SOLEMN OBSERVANCE

Can't believe it, but November 11 will be the 100th anniversary of the Armistice and end of World War I in 1918, optimistically thought then to be "the war to end all wars".   It will be marked in observances around the world honoring the millions who were killed or affected by that cataclysmic conflict.

How do you think William acquits himself in the brief video showing him speak?  I think he is dignified and a good ambassador to the occasion.  His look and "energy" is so different than Prince Charles, interestingly.  A lot of that is the Spencer "influx" probably, but I was getting a feeling of a young Prince Philip watching him-- maybe it's because of the shape of his head and heavier jaw?

https://www.euronews.com/2018/08/08/watch-live-events-mark-centenary-of-decisive-wwi-battle-of-amien...

Apart from frivolous musings like mine, it is a sobering time to acknowledge all those who perished in that huge chaos of 1914 to 1918.  I had family who could faintly remember World War I or at least echoes of it, in the songs of the period which they could sing, like "K-k-k-Katy"  and of course, "Over There".   Chills.

Honored Contributor

Re: PRINCE WILLIAM SPEAKS AT SOLEMN OBSERVANCE

@Oznell

William is Kingly in every sense, He already has exceptional knowledge and shows that in every single appearance, no matter what the circumstances.

I have my own strong opinions on Charles, shall refrain from sharing here. 

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you for this reminder.  How tragic it is that we have never learned lessons from history.  The answers are always there.  I watched a documentary a while back about Vietnam.  I was struck by a comment of one vet when he said “No one ever really wins a war.”  I believe he was speaking about all the death and destruction on both sides.

I admire Prince William so much.  He has both a great deal of dignity and compassion, and I am sure he will make a wonderful King.  He and Kate are devoted parents and have a beautiful family.  And Harry, while he will never be King, has emerged as a person dedicated to humanitarian causes.

Honored Contributor

Haunting spectacle of 10,000 flames set alight at the Tower of London, just one of multiple events to mark the ending of World War I,  100 years ago:

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/10000-flames-alight-at-tower-of-london-to-mark-first-world-wa...