Honored Contributor

Re: ***POSSIBLE*** Coronavirus Breakthrough

[ Edited ]

At this point it is going to take a lot for me to trust anything!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

I can't stress that word enough "possible "  breakthrough concerning the virus.

I saw this on my Facebook page, with the headline "California biopharmaceutical company claims coronavirus antibody breakthrough" .

Naturally, I can't post the story here, because of sidebars and whatnot, but if you Google that headline, you should be able to find the story.

In the first paragraph, they say that they have discovered an antibody that could shield the human body from the virus, and flush it out of the system within four days.

I am cautiously optimistic that this will work out.

FROM THE ARTICLE:  However, this is a significant 'if.' Promising though its effects on the virus were in lab tests on human cells, the company can't rightfully say that it has blocked the infection in the human body. 

The antibody has not yet been tested in people, so how it might behave inside the body and its potential side effects are totally unknown.  

Maybe this is the reason no one else is carrying this as news yet.

Honored Contributor

@Bhvbum   No one implied it was a miracle cure...just interesting reading about a possible breakthru.

I read the original article this morning at theblaze dot com

Respected Contributor

Another article on the posted topic.

California-based Sorrento Therapeutics claims to have discovered an antibody — called the STI-1499 antibody — that prevents the virus from entering the body's cells and reproducing, effectively killing it.

"When the antibody prevents a virus from entering a human cell, the virus cannot survive," said Dr. Henry Ji, founder and CEO of Sorrento Therapeutics. "If they cannot get into the cell, they cannot replicate. So it means that if we prevent the virus from getting the cell, the virus eventually dies out. The body clears out that virus...This puts its arms around the virus. It wraps around the virus and moves them out of the body."

Antibody treatments have been used for the past 100 years with mixed results, although researchers are optimistic that such a treatment could come before a vaccine.

"Antibodies, in general, have been very effective at bringing virus [levels] down if you've had a high burden of infection," Phyllis Kanki, a professor of immunology and infectious diseases at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health, said in a recent interview. "There are limitations to how much you can give and for how long."

Sorrento recently announced it will be partnering with New York-based health care system Mount Sinai to create an antibody cocktail to be used against COVID-19. Sorrento officials said STI-1499 will most likely be the first antibody in the cocktail.

"We want to emphasize there is a cure. There is a solution that works 100 percent," said Ji. "If we have the neutralizing antibody in your body, you don't need the social distancing. You can open up a society without fear."

Honored Contributor

@mom2four0418 wrote:

Human chorionic gonadotropin (HCG) is a hormone produced by the placenta after implantation.

@mom2four0418 

HEY, I heard that works!!!

Honored Contributor

Is there a percentage associated with "possible"?

Just wonderin

Honored Contributor

There have been so many "promising" things researched that are never heard about after the initial reports.  This one made the most sense of them all and it would be great if it was the one.  I just hope it's not pushed through  too fast to do all the required trials and testing.  This one sounds like it could be at least a treatment option if not a viable vaccine.  I don't think I will run  out to be the first in line for a vaccine. though,   especially if rushed through.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Bhvbum wrote:

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

I saw this on my Facebook page, with the headline "California biopharmaceutical company claims coronavirus antibody breakthrough" .

Naturally, I can't post the story here, because of sidebars and whatnot, but if you Google that headline, you should be able to find the story.

In the first paragraph, they say that they have discovered an antibody that could shield the human body from the virus, and flush it out of the system within four days.

FROM THE ARTICLE:  However, this is a significant 'if.' Promising though its effects on the virus were in lab tests on human cells, the company can't rightfully say that it has blocked the infection in the human body. 

The antibody has not yet been tested in people, so how it might behave inside the body and its potential side effects are totally unknown.  

And that is exactly why I stressed the word "possible" .

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

Call me cynical, but stating that "there is a solution that works 100% of the time" sets off my b.s. alarm.

Esteemed Contributor

@Bhvbum wrote:

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

O

Cleveland Clinic is doing work with antibody plasma on those with the virus.  So far have had promising results.  Are asking for those who have had the virus to donate so they can expand the the program.  So yes there are tests being done in people.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.